Powerful journalism on tap - Download The Kashmir Monitor app.

Kangan youth becomes 5th civilian casualty; Kashmir shuts in mourning

Srinagar, Apr 03: On the second day as well, Kashmir witnessed a complete shutdown on Tuesday against the civilian and militant killings of Sunday even as one more youth succumbed to his injuries here at a local hospital taking the civilian death toll to five.
Gowhar Ahmad Rather, 22, who was brought to SK Institute, Soura in a critical condition on Monday breathed his last Tuesday afternoon.
MS SKIMS, Dr Farooq Jan confirmed Gowhar’s death.
Gowhar had a firearm injury in his skull, which he suffered when forces clashes with protestors in Kangan, Ganderbal on Monday.
Police, however, alleged that “he fell down during a police chase and suffered a head injury after hitting a drain edge.”
Following the news of Gowhar’s death, clashes erupted in Kangan in which two more youth were grievously injured.
Amir Hamid Lone, 22, a resident of Chuturgul Kangan had a critical skull injury and had to referred to SKIMS from trauma hospital Kangan.
Another injured civilian identified as Abdul Rashid Khan was referred to Bone and Joints hospital, Barzulla. Khan, as per reports, had a fractured arm.
Reports said that around 10 policemen too were injured during the clashes.
The valley was completely shut on Day two as well following the shutdown called by the joint Hurriyat leadership comprising Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik in response to last Sunday’s militant and civilian killings in South Kashmir parts.
Commercial establishments and offices were shut and public transport was off the roads. Educational institutions too were closed across Kashmir.
Curbs were imposed in the interiors of Srinagar and uptown areas by law enforcing authorities to thwart any attempts of people taking out any protest demonstrations. Huge contingents of government forces were enforcing restrictions in almost all parts of old Srinagar city. However, vital road link leading to SKIMS Soura hospital was kept open.
Similar curbs were implemented in many south Kashmir areas.
Similarly, train services continued to remain suspended on second day as well.