Amman:At least 20 persons, most of them school pupils, have been killed in flash floods in Jordan, the emergency services said in an updated toll. A further 35 persons were injured following heavy rains on Thursday, including members of the security forces involved in rescue operations, said an official from the civil defence-Jordan’s fire service-who asked not to be named.
He said rescuers were still searching for people missing in the area, a popular tourist attraction around 50 km west of Amman.
“Most of the dead were schoolchildren aged 11 to 14 who were taking part in a school trip to the Dead Sea region” when their bus was swept away by floodwaters.
Also among the dead were passers-by who had been picnicking in the area, he said. “Security force personnel who were taking part in the rescue operations were among the injured,” he added.
The Dead Sea, the lowest point on earth, is surrounded by steep valleys and gullies that frequently see flash floods and landslides.
Education Minister Azmi Mahafzah promised a “full inquiry” into the schoolchildren’s deaths. He said the bus took a route not agreed upon by the ministry and the organiser of the trip bore full responsibility.
Roads leading to the area were closed on Friday morning “to allow the continuation of search and rescue operations”, the Directorate of General Security said.
The Israeli military said on Thursday it was helping with the operation, sending helicopters and forces specialised in search and rescue.
Jordan’s King Abdullah II had cancelled a planned visit to Bahrain to monitor developments.
Pak did not do a favour by returning Abhinandan, says Sitharaman
Mumbai: Pakistan has shown the statements of such people and opposition leaders on their television channels, increasing TRP, the minister said.
“It is these people who did not want (the country) to buy Rafale, because arrival of these will give strength to our forces,” she said, addressing a gathering in Kolkata on ‘Ensuring India’s National Security’ organised by the Dr Syama Prasad Mookerjee Research Foundation.
India has given a message to the world after the Balakot air strike by not bowing to Pakistan’s nuclear blackmail, the minister said.
On February 26, the IAF conduct air strikes in Pakistan’s Balakot targeting Jaish-e-Mohammed terror camps. The strikes came after a suicide bomber from the terror group on February 14 rammed an explosive-laden vehicle into a CRPF bus, killing 40 personnel, in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pulwama district.
Modi did what former prime minister Manmohan Singh did not do after the Mumbai attacks on November 26, 2008, possibly because of Pakistan’s continued propaganda that “it is a nuclear power like India, and we should not forget that before doing anything against them”, she said.
“‘Chowkidar’ gave Pakistan the right answer,” she said.
The defence minister said though there is no direct war being waged between India and Pakistan, there were ceasefire violations by the neighbouring country, and non-state actors with the support of Pakistan, indulge in attacks like that in Pulwama.
Many were given training for suicide attacks at Balakot. There was intelligence on this development and that there will be many more Pulwama-like attacks in the coming days, she said.
“So, not to wage war but to neutralise the terrorists at their training camps. They were eliminated (at Balakot),” she said, adding, India did what Pakistan ought to have done.
Sitharaman said Pakistan claims it is a victim of terrorism, but itself trains and sends them to India.
“Why Pakistan does not take action against terrors groups and terrorists being nurtured and trained on its soil if it is a victim?” she asked.
The minister said that after the Pulwama attack, evidence was given to Pakistan, but it did not act.
Noting that the Jaish-e-Mohammed itself claimed responsibility for the strike, she said, “What more proof does it (Pakistan) want?”
Keep trying, truth can’t be extinguished: Rahul’s dig at PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s “Main Bhi Chowkidaar” campaign drew barbs from the opposition after BJP leaders rushed to add “chowkidar” to their Twitter handles.
Congress president Rahul Gandhi tweeted that the truth “cannot be extinguished”.
“You can keep trying Modi, but the truth cannot be extinguished. Every Indian is saying it. #ChowkidarChorHai P.S: Do force Sushma ji to add “Chowkidar” to her handle. It’s looking very bad,” he posted.
Minutes after PM Modi added “Chowkidar” to his twitter title, BJP leaders and ministers followed suit. From Union minister Arun Jaitley to party chief Amit Shah, and even foreign minister Sushma Swaraj, added “Chowkidar” to their Twitter handles.
Along with Congress, the leaders of other parties took a dig at PM Modi and his party.
Priyanka draws inspiration from grandmother Indira to ‘be fearless’
Prayagraj: Congress general secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, who is in Uttar Pradesh campaigning for the party, is drawing inspiration from her grandmother and former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, who taught her to be fearless.
“Sitting in the courtyard of Swaraj Bhawan, the room is visible where my grandmother was born,” she tweeted late on Sunday, while spending sometime in the 19th century mansion here. The ancestral home was owned by her great-great grandfather, Motilal Nehru.
The 47-year-old recalled how her grandmother often rocked her to sleep with the bedtime story of Joan of Arc, a peasant girl from medieval France, who believed God chose her to lead France to victory in its Hundred Years War with England. She succeeded and is honoured as the Maid of Orleans.
“I still have those words imprinted in my heart. Become fearless and all will be good,” she added.
Party president Rahul Gandhi appointed his younger sibling as the eastern in-charge of Uttar Pradesh on January 23.
The fifth generation of the Nehru-Gandhi family still at the helm of the party is striving hard to win the Hindi heartland state.
Priyanka Gandhi has embarked on a Prayagraj to Varanasi (Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s parliamentary constituency) boat ride on the river Ganga, making small pit stops and meeting crowds on the banks.
Awantipora man’s custodial death: Joint Hurriyat calls for complete shutdown tomorrow
Srinagar: Joint Hurriyat on Tuesday called for a complete shutdown on Wednesday against the killing of Rizwan Asad in police...
We have suffered enough: Mehbooba on Awantipora man’s custodial death
Srinagar: Reacting to the custodial death of an Awantipora man, PDP president Mehbooba Mufti on Tuesday said that, “innocent men...
Awantipora man’s custodial death: Omar demands ‘exemplary punishment’
Srinagar:National Conference vice-president Omar Abdullah on Tuesday demanded a time-bound investigation into the custodial death of a school teacher in...
Police version: Awantipora man’s custodial death
Srinagar, Mar 19: The Jammu and Kashmir police on Tuesday issued a statement regarding the death of an Awantipora youth...
NC fields Justice (Retd) Hasnain Masoodi from Anantnag Lok Sabha constituency
Srinagar, Mar 19 : National Conference on Tuesday announced that Justice (Retd) Hasnain Masoodi would be the party candidate for...
VIDEO| Youth dies in police custody, police requests for magisterial probe
Srinagar, March 19: A youth from Awantipora area of south Kashmir’s Pulwama district, was allegedly killed in police custody on...
Heavy firing on Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir
Jammu, March 19: Heavy firing exchanges took place between Indian and Pakistani troopers on the Line of Control (LoC) in...