Connect with us

International

India, US to hold 2+2 dialogue on September 6 in New Delhi

Agencies

Published

🕒

on

IST

Washington:The defence and foreign ministers of India and the United States will finally hold their inaugural 2+2 dialogue in New Delhi on September 6, the US?state department announced .
The meeting, which was already postponed twice, was scheduled to take place on July 6 in Washington, but was deferred off by the US.
Announcing the new date and venue — US was to host both the cancelled meetings — the state department said the four ministers will “discuss strengthening strategic, security, and defence cooperation as the United States and India jointly address challenges in the Indo-Pacific region and beyond”.
This will be the first simultaneous meeting of defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman and external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj with their US counterparts James Mattis and Mike Pompeo in a format announced a year ago. The dialogue was agreed upon after a call between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President Donald Trump.
While Sitharaman and Mattis have met at least twice before — in New Delhi and in Singapore — Swaraj and Pompeo have yet to meet, though they have spoken on the phone. Their last conversation was probably when the secretary of state called her to postpone the July meeting.
At the time, President Trump had asked Popmpeo to visit North Korea to carry forward discussions from the Singapore summit on denuclearisation.
The first 2+2 meeting, which was set to take place in April, was called off after then secretary of state Rex Tillerson was unexpectedly fired by the president.
While no dates had been settled on, initial plans were to hold the inaugural meeting in New Delhi, if Mattis and Tillerson, who were scheduled to visit India, had coordinated their calendar to be there together. They ended up visiting separately.
While the “four principals can discuss anything under the sun when they meet in one room”, an official said on background, some of the issues for discussions have selected themselves – such as US sanctions on Russia and Iran, both of which impact India closely and directly.
India’s plan to purchase Russian S-400 air defence system, for instance, could attract secondary sanctions under a US law that seeks to punish Russia for poll meddling — under the Combatting America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act — unless an exception was made, as backed by both Mattis and Pompeo.
Iran sanctions, a part of which will be enforced by the state department, could be the tougher discussion. India has already started cutting exports in anticipation of the November 4 deadline, but expects exemptions. The US has indicated it is inclined to grant some on a case-by-case basis. But, as before, these exemptions will be linked to target countries showing significant reduction, to be certified by the state department.


Advertisement
Loading...
Comments

International

Threats to US would mean Iran’s end, warns Trump

Agencies

Published

on

Washington: US President Donald Trump has asked Iran “never to threaten” the US and warned Tehran that if it wants a fight, it would be “the official end” of the Islamic nation.

“If Iran wants to fight, that will be the official end of Iran,” Trump tweeted.

His tweets appeared to be a considerable shift in tone from the President’s brief remarks at the White House on May 16, when he responded “I hope not” after being asked whether the US and Iran were headed toward war, The Washington Post reported.

 

The White House has not officially responded to Trump’s tweets.

Trump issued his threat a few hours after the commander of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards, Hossein Salami, said on Sunday that Iran does not fear a war but the US does, reports Efe news.

Salami said in a speech at a military ceremony broadcast on state-run Iranian TV that Tehran was not seeking war but did not fear it either, in contrast to the US, which is afraid of war and does not have the willpower to engage in one.

He also warned that the entire Middle East could become “a powder keg” for Washington.

Last week, the US decided to deploy to the Persian Gulf the amphibious assault ship USS Arlington, Patriot missiles, the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln and assorted warplanes, including bombers, after claiming that it had detected unspecified “indications” of Iranian plans to attack US forces in the Middle East.

In recent weeks, concern has been increasing that National Security Adviser John Bolton, a long-time hawk on Iran who was instrumental in instigating the invasion of Iraq under George W. Bush, might be working to edge the administration closer to some kind of military action against Tehran.

Last year, prior to bringing Bolton into the administration as one of his top advisers, Trump withdrew the US from the Iran nuclear deal. More recently, Trump has tightened economic sanctions against the Tehran regime and his administration says it has built up the US military presence in the region.

Continue Reading

International

White House unveils 1st part of Middle East peace plan

Agencies

Published

on

Washington: The White House has unveiled the first part of its Middle East peace proposal, which is being deemed as an economic “workshop” to encourage investing capital in the West Bank, Gaza, and the region, a senior administration official told CNN.

The White House announced on Sunday that the workshop will take place in Manama, Bahrain, on June 25 and 26, bringing together finance ministers with global and regional business leaders.

The effort is being headed by Jared Kushner, the senior White House adviser and President Donald Trump’s son-in-law, and White House Middle East envoy Jason Greenblatt, who have spent years developing the proposal along with the much stickier political component, which officials said would be announced later in the year.

 

Kushner told CNN that “people are letting their grandfathers’ conflict destroy their children’s futures. This will present an exciting, realistic and viable pathway forward that does not currently exist”.

The senior administration official said that the plan will discuss four major components: infrastructure; industry; empowering and investing in people; and governance reforms “to make the area as investible as possible”.

The economic plan will also include a “combination of grant money, low interest loans and then also private capital”, the official said.

The workshop however, will avoid political issues such as whether the Palestinians will get their own state; the status of Jerusalem; measures Israel takes in the name of security; and what should happen with Palestinians and their descendants who fled or were expelled from Israel around the time of the state’s creation in 1948, he added.

Finance ministers, but not foreign ministers, will be invited along with delegations of business leaders.

However, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas’ spokesman, Nabil Abu Rudeineh, told CNN that the plan was “futile”.

“Any economic plan without political horizons will lead nowhere… Palestinians will not accept any proposals which do not include a Palestinian state with East Jerusalem as its capital.”

The decision on whether or not Palestinians would attend the workshop would be made by the leadership of Abbas, Abu Rudeineh said, adding that when a similar meeting was held in Washington in March 2018 to discuss ways of improving the economic and humanitarian situation facing Gazans, the Palestinians had chosen to stay away.

Continue Reading

International

Tourist bus near Egypt’s Gaza pyramids hit with bomb; injures 17

Agencies

Published

on

Cairo: A roadside bomb hit a tourist bus near the Giza Pyramids, wounding at least 17 people including tourists, Egyptian officials said. The officials said the bus was travelling on a road close to the under-construction Grand Egyptian Museum, which is located adjacent to the Giza Pyramids but is not yet open to tourists.

The bus was carrying at least 25 people mostly from South Africa, officials added. The attack comes as Egypt’s vital tourism industry is showing signs of recovery after years in the doldrums because of the political turmoil and violence that followed a 2011 uprising that toppled former leader Hosni Mubarak.

The officials said security forces cordoned off the site of the explosion and the wounded were taken to a nearby hospital. The explosion damaged a windshield of another car, they said. Footage circulated online shows shattered windows of the bus.

 

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to brief media. Atif Moftah, general supervisor of the Grand Egyptian Museum, said the explosion did not cause any damage to the museum, in a statement issued by the antiquities ministry.

No group has immediately claimed responsibility for the attack. It is the second to target foreign tourists near the famed pyramids in less than six months.

In December, a bus carrying 15 Vietnamese tourists was hit by a roadside bomb, killing at least three of them.

Egypt has battled Islamic militants for years in the Sinai Peninsula in an insurgency that has occasionally spilled over to the mainland, hitting minority Christians or tourists. The insurgency gained strength after the 2013 military overthrow of the country’s first freely elected president, an Islamist whose brief rule sparked mass protests.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor and receive notifications of new stories by email.

Join 1,010,418 other subscribers

Archives

May 2019
M T W T F S S
« Apr    
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
Advertisement