Connect with us

State

‘Human shield’ Dar refuses Bigg Boss offer: Report

Avatar

Published

🕒

on

IST

Srinagar, Jun 08: Farooq Ahmad Dar, the 29-year-old who hit the headlines in April last year after being reportedly used as a human shield by Major Gogoi was reportedly offered Rs 50 lakh by reality TV show Bigg Boss to become a participant, but he refused.
Dar was quoted by the Hindu: “I was offered ?50 lakh by Big Boss producers in July last year. They even told me that tickets for me were ready.” However, TV channel Colors responded by calling it speculation and refused to confirm or deny whether they offered Rs 50 lakh to him. The offer reportedly came three months after images of him tied to an Army jeep went viral.
Ahsan Untoo, head of the International Forum for Justice who is Dar’s petitioner before the SHRC said: “We were pursuing his compensation case when an unknown Big Boss producer approached him on phone. However, Dar is not a celebrity but a victim.”
The J&K government had rejected the SHRC recommendation for Rs 10 lakh compensation to Dar.
The Jammu and Kashmir human rights commission had directed the state government to pay a compensation of Rs 10 lakh to Farooq Ahmad Dar, who was used as a “human shield” by an Army man against stone-pelters.
The government, however, opposed any compensation to Dar.
The compensation awarded to Dar was for the “humiliation, physical and psychiatric torture, stress, wrongful restraint and confinement” that he underwent when he was tied to the bonnet of an Army vehicle to ward off stone-pelters, the State Human Rights Commission (SHRC) said in its judgment.
Dar, an embroidery artisan, was tied to a jeep by Major Leetul Gogoi, as a shield against the stone pelters who had allegedly surrounded a group of armed personnel. Shortly after the incident, Major Gogoi was honoured with a commendation card by the Army chief for “his sustained efforts in counter-insurgency operations”.


Advertisement
Loading...
Comments

State

Rizwan murder response to freehand given to security agencies: Er Rasheed

Avatar

Published

on

Srinagar, March 19: Expressing grief and shock over the custodial killing of Rizwan Pandit, a school teacher, AIP President Er Rasheed has said that Rizwan’s murder is the response shown by security agencies to Prime Minister’s declaration that security forces have been given free hand after Pulwama attack.

In a statement issued today Rasheed said that there can be no excuse given by the state government and J&K Police to justify murder of Rizwan Ahmad Pandit, who was summoned to police station, “tortured” in Cargo and his dead body has been sent back home.

The incident should be matter or grave concern for the local cops who often claim to be Kashmiris and claim their respect for rights and sentiments of masses. Prime Minister owes an answer that why he was so inpatient to give forces a free hand to the extent that they dare to “torture” Kashmiris to death in custody in broad day light.

 

The promises of investigation and orders of inquiry carry no meaning as such shame enquiries have nothing yielded in the past. Now if Omar Abdullah and Mehbooba Mufti talk about exemplary punishment to the killers it makes no sense as not even a single man in uniform has been punished or convicted since 1990.

Continue Reading

State

Chattisinghpora killings: APSCC dismayed over delay in justice to families of 35 Sikh families

Avatar

Published

on


In a statement issued to media, APSCC Chairman Jagmohan Singh Raina said that although 19 years have passed no headway whatsoever has been made in the case. He said the delay in justice has led to disillusionment among the members of Sikh community.

“Total 50 people were killed in Chattisinghpora episode. It is important that justice is delivered to the victim families. At the same time investigations need to be carried out in the sequence of events that unfolded later on as 15 more persons belonging to majority community were also killed in the aftermath of the Chattisinghpora massacre,” APSCC Chairman.

Raina said that since the locals countered the claims of government that it has killed five militants involved in the killing of 35 Sikhs it is imperative that the whole incident is probed in a professional manner so that culprits are brought to book and justice is delivered to the affected families.

 

Security agencies investigating are always dubious this is known to every common Indian, that they work under influence. If Government of India seems interested in solving the Chittinsinghpora they should conduct inquiry which is impartial and lead by some independent body so that truth is in front of everyone and especially Sikhs living in the valley.

He also expressed his sympathies to the families of persons who were killed in firing of security forces at Brakpora who were protesting against the fake encounter. He said that government should take up the probe in a forceful manner so that the real picture comes to the fore and people heave a sigh of relief.

“Justice Pandian who was asked to probe the incident in his report said that the five persons claimed to be militants by the security agencies were actually innocent residents of Brakpora. Their bodies were burnt and hastily buried in a nearby village. Since the whole episode has come under a cloud it is important to hold the probe in a transparent manner without any prejudice or bias,” said the APSCC Chairman.

It would be in place to mention here that in 2000, unidentified gunmen entered Chattisinghpora village and massacred 35 men belonging to the minority Sikh community. The murder of Sikhs shocked the entire Kashmir region.

“The police have so far failed to produce any hard evidence that the persons killed in the fake encounter were involved in the killing of Sikhs at Chattisinghpora. The committee formed by the government to find out the culprits, has failed to solve the mystery. We urge both the state and central government to go for fresh probe in the killings of Sikhs and make the things clear. Pandian Commission should be allowed to further investigate the incident as Brakpora and Chattisinghpora cases are interlinked,” said Raina.

The APSCC Chairman said that the massacre was condemned by then President of USA, Bill Clinton. He urged the Government of India to nab the culprits, which he later on also mentioned in his book and termed the incident as most unfortunate incident of his life. Then chief minister of Jammu & Kashmir Dr. Farooq Abdullah had publicly assured that the culprits will be soon arrested. Till date the promises made by the former CM and the present dispensation have proven to be hoax.

Continue Reading

State

Info dept protests against suspension of AIO Kupwara

Kashmir News Service

Published

on

Srinagar, March 19: Lockout of all the offices of Information department across Jammu and Kashmir in protest against the suspension and attachment of an assistant information officer by Deputy Commissioner Kupwara has triggered a huge crisis in mid election season when the notification for the first phase of Lok Sabha polls has been issued by the Election Commission of India.

Talking to media, Information Employees Association president Shabir Ahmad said, “Following the transfer of district information officer Kupwara, the Director Information department had given the charge of DIO Kupwara to senior most AIO Basheer Ahmad Sofi having 30 years of service in the information department but DC Kupwara while trespassing institutional jurisdiction in exercise of his powers suspended Basheer Ahmad Sofi, the Assistant Information Officer for holding the charge of DIO Kupwara under the orders of Director Information and attached him with the district election office, surprisingly DC Kupwara without bringing the matter into the notice of Director Information asked Assistant Director Handicrafts, a junior KAS officer to hold the charge of DIO Kupwara. To protest the institutional trespassing in exercise of his powers by DC Kupwara we have locked all offices of the Information Department including the offices of director information, joint director information Kashmir and Jammu and all district information offices and the lockout will continue till the order is revoked.”

When contacted Deputy Commissioner Kupwara Anshul Garg told a local news agency, “I am just following the guidelines of election commission of India which empowers me to take all the decision for smooth running of the election related work in the district. I have suspended Assistant Information Officer and given the charge to assistant director handicrafts not today but last month. If chief electoral officer asks me to revoke the order I have no issues as every action is subject to scrutiny by the chief electoral officer and the election commission of India. KNS

 
Continue Reading

Latest News

Subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor and receive notifications of new stories by email.

Join 1,000,183 other subscribers

Archives

March 2019
M T W T F S S
« Feb    
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
Advertisement