Connect with us

Sports

Guptill returns to Kiwis ODI squad against Pak

Monitor News Bureau

Published

🕒  

on

IST

Wellington : Opener Martin Guptill, who has recovered fully from a hamstring injury, has been recalled in the 13-man New Zealand squad for the first two ODIs of the five-match series against Pakistan, beginning January 6 here at the Basin Reserve.
The 31-year-old was recently forced to miss New Zealand’s 3-0 triumph against West Indies in the three-match ODI series due to the injury, though he has since returned to fitness and is currently playing in the ongoing T20I series against the Caribbean side.
New Zealand national selector Gavin Larsen said that they are thrilled to have world-class Guptill back in the squad, however, adding that George would continue to push for selection.
“It’s tough on George missing out, but he’ll continue to push for selection and will get further opportunities down the road. Martin is a proven world-class player, so we’re naturally thrilled to have him back in the mix. He and Colin (Munro) have been strong for us at the top of the order,” ESPNcricinfo quoted Larsen as saying.
Meanwhile, the spin duo of Mitchell Santner and Todd Astle has also been retained in the ODI squad against Pakistan.
All-rounder Colin de Grandhomme, who missed the series against the Caribbean side and returned to Harare after his father’s death, will continue to remain sidelined.
Grandhomme, who has returned to New Zealand since then, would now play for Auckland and is most likely to make a return for the national side for the last three ODIs against Pakistan.
The five-match ODI series will be followed by three T20Is, which begins on January 22 at the Westpac Stadium.
The New Zealand squad is as follows:
Kane Williamson (capt), Todd Astle, Doug Bracewell, Trent Boult, Lockie Ferguson, Martin Guptil, Matt Henry, Tom Latham, Colin Munro, Henry Nicholls, Mitchell Santner, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor.(ANI)


Advertisement
Loading...
Comments

Sports

Ronaldo is a predatory striker and it’s only normal when he scores : Messi

Agencies

Published

on

London :Barcelona attacker Lionel Messi isn’t surprised by Cristiano Ronaldo’s recent Serie A scoring streak for Juventus as he praised the striker’s ability to find the back of the net. 

Ronaldo has scored in 11 straight league games for his Italian club despite turning 35 this month and has an impressive 24 goals to his name this season.

Messi, meanwhile, has gone four matches without a goal but has contributed six assists in his three most recent appearances for the Catalans.

 

Though both players have always been prolific in front of goal, Messi believes Ronaldo has made scoring his obsession and isn’t surprised to see the Portuguese star continue to fire in the final third.

“It’s normal that he continues to score, he is a predatory striker, he loves to score, any day he plays he will score,” Messi told Mundo Deportivo when asked about Ronaldo’s recent performances.

“He has many good attributes as a forward and at the minimum he converts.”

Messi himself has struck 14 times across just 19 La Liga games this season for Barcelona as he also shows he still has an eye for goal at the age of 32.

Former teammate Carles Puyol recently backed the Argentina attacker to play on until he’s 38, with Messi himself admitting he’s feeling good despite his advancing age.

“The reality is that one is turning years old and does not know, but I feel very good, better than in previous years, and that I am not making goals, but on a physical level and legs I feel very good,” he said.

Asked if he could play on until he’s 40, Messi replied: “We will see, we will see.”

Barcelona are currently one point shy of Real Madrid in the race for the La Liga title this season and Messi believes the battle for first will go down to the wire.

“It is true that it is a year that in the league both Madrid and we are being very irregular, where we lost many points and in that sense I think we will be fighting until the end and that the league does not end after El Classico, whatever happens,” Messi said.

“There will be important matches. We have hard outings and they do too.

“Afterwards, it is true that if we want to qualify for the Champions League we have to continue growing a lot, because I think that today it is not enough for us to fight for the Champions League.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Simona Halep survives Ons Jabeur scare to advance in Dubai

Agencies

Published

on

Top seed Simona Halep survived an early scare and saved a match point to beat Tunisia’s Ons Jabeur 1-6 6-2 7-6(7) in the last 16 of the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships on Wednesday.

Romanian Halep, playing her first match since a semi-final exit at the Australian Open, was rusty in the opening set as Jabeur got off to a flier and the Romanian was visibly frustrated.

However, the world number two bounced back to take the opening three games of the second set and rediscovered her touch from the baseline with powerful groundstrokes that forced Jabeur into errors.

 

The third set was tight and went to a tiebreak in which Jabeur saved three match points, and created one of her own, before Halep converted her fourth match point to advance to the quarter-finals.

“It was a very tough match, she played really well,” Halep said in a post-match interview. “Congrats to her, I was a little bit lucky to win tonight.

“First match after a long time, (it) is tough to play. I gave everything I had, I just wanted to win the match. I didn’t give up (on) any point, I’m really proud that I fought till the end.”

While Jabeur hit 26 winners to Halep’s 10, her unforced error count of 41 and five double faults proved decisive.

On the other side of the draw, second seed Karolina Pliskova needed only 67 minutes to advance with a 6-1 6-2 victory over Kristina Mladenovic.

Australian Open finalist and ninth seed Garbine Muguruza, who knocked out Kim Clijsters in the first round, beat Russia’s Veronika Kudermetova 7-5 4-6 6-4.

Elena Rybakina, who knocked out Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin, brushed aside Katerina Siniakova 6-3 6-3 to book a quarter-final clash with Pliskova

Continue Reading

Sports

FC Goa create history, become first Indian club to enter AFC Champions

Agencies

Published

on

Mumbai :Creating history , FC Goa became the first Indian club to enter the group stage of the 2021 Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Champions League. FC Goa achieved the remarkable feat after routing Jamshedpur FC 5-0 in an Indian Super League match in Jharkhand’s Jamshedpur.

FC Goa’s 2021 AFC Champions League entry was guaranteed after they beat Jamshedpur FC to end as the top team of the ISL league stage. The club from Goa finished the league phase with 39 points after 18 matches and claimed the ISL League Winners Shield. Their closest rival ATK are second with 33 points and one match left to play. Even if ATK win their last match, they will end up with only 36 points.

AFC Champions League is Asia’s most prestigious club competition where the top teams from the continent and Australia face each other for the trophy. While Mohun Bagan and East Bengal have featured in the Asian Club Championships but FC Goa are the first team from the country to play in AFC Champions League group stage. AFC Champiosn League started in 2002.

 

Till now, the team winning the I-League gained entry into the play-off rounds of AFC Champions League, but no Indian club has ever qualified for the group stage. With the ISL having been recognised as the top-tier league in the country by the All India Football Federation, its top team in the league phase will represent India in the prestigious AFC Champions League.

Under Asian Football Confederation’s member association ranking system issued in November 2019, India has been allotted one slot in the expanded AFC Champions League as the country occupied eighth spot in the West Zone.

The member associations ranked 7th to 10th in both West and East Zones get one direct slot in the group stage of the AFC Champions League which will have 40 clubs in the 2021 edition instead of 32 earlier FC Goa also became the first-ever side to record 50 ISL league match wins.

They also broke their own goal-scoring record, ending the league stage with 46 goals — an all-time high. Jamshedpur, on the other hand, finished their season at eighth spot in the 10-team league with 18 points.

With the top spot and an AFC Champions League group stage entry at stake, FC Goa started the game on a positive note. For FC Goa the scorers against Jamshedpur FC were Ferran Corominas (11th), Hugo Boumous (70th and 90th), Jackichand Singh (84th) and Mourtada Fall (87th).

There were no signs of complacency and it took the visitors just 10 minutes to break the deadlock. Boumous initiated a counter-attack for his team after Mobashir Rahman missed his kick from a Jamshedpur corner. The FC Goa midfielder set Corominas free into open space and with the Jamshedpur defence caught unawares, the striker executed a fine finish into the net past goalkeeper Rafique Ali.

The tempo of the game was slower after the restart. Ahmed Jahouh nicked the ball off Monroy in midfield and fed Corominas who charged at the defence. The striker laid the ball off for Doungel whose shot had to be deflected by Memo Moura. Boumous, who has been in supreme form this season, scored the much-needed second goal in the 70th minute.

He dribbled into the box from the centre, found Doungel to his left who chipped the ball right back into the path of the in-form attacker who smashed the ball into the net from six yards out.

With Jamshedpur looking tired, FC Goa added three more goals towards the end of the game to script a brilliant finish. Boumous picked up his 10th assist of the season with a good through-ball for Jackichand who lobbed the goalkeeper and found the net.

Minutes later, a chipped cross from the left flank by Edu Bedia found Fall who nodded the ball into the net to make it 4-0. Then, Boumous picked up the ball from the left flank, dribbled towards the byline, beating a couple of defenders in the process, and found the net from a narrow angle to score FC Goa’s fifth goal.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Latest News45 mins ago

Coronavirus scare:Of leaked letter, rumors and fear

SRINAGAR:  A leaked letter of Medical Superintendent of Leh’s SNM Hospital sent the Ladakh Union Territory (UT) administration into a...

Latest News2 hours ago

Another B’luru girl held for ‘Free Kashmir’ placard

Bengaluru, Feb 21: Another Bengaluru woman was detained for allegedly holding a placard saying ”Free Kashmir” at a demonstration in...

Latest News4 hours ago

People friendly anti-militancy ops have yielded results in JK: Lt Gen Dhillon

The “remarkable” decrease in the number of local youths joining various militant groups in Jammu and Kashmir has been a...

Latest News4 hours ago

Booked for corruption, MD Handicrafts (Sales & Exports) suspended

Jammu, Feb 21: The J&K administration has ordered suspension of the managing director of Handicrafts (Sales & Exports) Corporation, Jasvinder Singh...

Latest News4 hours ago

DSP Davinder Singh case: NIA conducts raid in Pulwama

The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Friday carried out a fresh raid in south Kashmir district of Pulwama reportedly in...

Latest News5 hours ago

Mahashivratri rekindles memories of Kashmir’s glorious past

Ever since the Pandit community left the Kashmir Valley in early 1990, Mahashivratri, locally known as ‘Hairat’; it has become...

Latest News6 hours ago

Sedition case slapped against woman for ‘Pak Zindabad’ slogan at anti-CAA rally

A Bengaluru student raised Pakistan Zindabad slogans at an anti-Citizenship Amendment Act rally where party chief Asaduddin Owaisi was present...

Subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor

Enter your email address to subscribe to this The Kashmir Monitor and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,023,548 other subscribers

Archives

February 2020
M T W T F S S
« Jan    
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272829  
Advertisement