Powerful journalism on tap - Download The Kashmir Monitor app.

Gunfight in Batamaloo: SOG man killed, cop, 3 CRPF personnel, civilian injured

File Photo

Srinagar, Aug 12: Three days ahead of August 15 function, a gunfight between militants and government forces ensued at Batmaloo area here in which a special police officer, attached with SOG, was killed, while four forces’ personnel and a civilian were injuredeven as the militants managed to escape.

The location of the encounter is a few kilometers from the venue where the official I-day function will take place.

Reports said that a joint team of SOG and CRPF launched a cordon at Deyarwani area of Batmaloo wee hours of Sunday.

A senior police officer said that the cordon was launched in the area following inputs about the presence of the militants.

While the joint team laid the cordon around the targeted house, the hiding militants fired upon them triggering an encounter, he said.

The officer said that five forces personnel including four CRPF men were injured during the gunfight, he said.

Besides it, the owner of the house Neyaz Ahmad Bhat also received injuries during the “exchange of gunfight”, he said.

All the injured forces personnel were shifted to military hospital where the SPO Parvez Ahmad later succumbed, he said.

The injured civilian was shifted to SMHS hospital here where his condition is said to be stable, he said.

Sources, however, said that the militants believed to be two to three in number managed to escape from the house.

Additional reinforcements were also rushed to the area and a massive manhunt was launched in the entire area to trace out the militants, they said.

Inspector General of Police (IGP), Swayam Prakash Pani was quoted by news agency GNS that “two militant accomplices have been arrested while a major hideout has been busted in the area”.

He as per GNS said that one militant was injured in the firefight and searches are underway to trace him and other militants out.

In wake of the gunfight, the Internet services were snapped in Srinagar district as a precautionary measure but were restored in the afternoon.