Powerful journalism on tap - Download The Kashmir Monitor app.

Four die after inhaling poisonous gas in sewer at Anantnag

Srinagar, Aug 12: Four persons including mother and son died due to inhaling of gas while cleaning up a sewer pit in Utrersoo area of Shangus in south Kashmir’s Anantnag district on Sunday.

An official said that one person, Mohammad Maqbool Khan, started repairing and cleaning up the sewer trench in his house premises at Khanpora village of UtersooSunday morning.

While repairing the trench, Maqbool suddenly fell down inside it apparently due to inhaling some poisonous gas.

His wife Shamima Begum and son Sabzar Ahmad Khan along with two of his neighbours, siblings, jumped inside the trench to save him. However, all of them fell unconscious.

As the news spread, hundreds of locals reached the spot and somehow they managed to retrieve all the five persons.

All of them were immediately taken to PHC Utersoo where four of them were declared brought dead.

The condition of Maqbool is stated to be critical, an official said.

The deceased were identified as Shamima wife of Mohd Maqbool Khan, their son Sabzar Khan and two brothers Zahid Ahmad Ahanger and Umar Ahmad Ahanger sons of Ghulam Mohd Ahanger.