In a region mired in conflict, it takes all the more courage, and perseverance to be the voice of the voiceless, and to separate facts from propaganda. Help The Kashmir Monitor sustain so that we continue to be editorially independent. Remember, your contributions, however small they may be, matter to us.

Deputy Jailer sent to 9-day NIA custody for ‘conspiring’ to send youth for arms training

Jammu, Aug 29: A special court here Wednesday sent Deputy Superintendent of Amphalla Jail Feroz Ahmed Lone, who was arrested by the NIA in an alleged militancy conspiracy case, to nine days police remand.

He was produced before NIA Special Judge Haq Nawaz by the agency on Wednesday.

The judge said the application moved was “genuine” and remanded the accused to police custody for nine days.

“I heard and perused the file as an application for the remand. The prayer made by the NIA seems to be genuine and as such, the present application is allowed,” he said.

Feroz Lone was arrested by the National Investigation Agency here on Tuesday for allegedly conniving with the main accused, Ishaq Palla, to send Kashmiri youths Suhail Ahmad Bhat and Danish Ghulam Lone to Pakistan-Administered Kashmir for arms training.

A meeting in this regard took place on October 25, 2017, at the Central jail, Srinagar, where Feroz Lone, a resident of Budgam, was then posted as Deputy Jail Superintendent, the NIA said.

“Palla, a resident of Shopian, was lodged in the Srinagar jail in a different case and he was instrumental in hatching the conspiracy from there. He was actively assisted by Feroz Lone,” alleged the agency.

“The case pertains to an attempt by Bhat and Danish Lone, who were arrested earlier, to travel to PaK for arms training to wage war against the state. They were motivated by Palla,” the NIA said.

Bhat and Danish Lone were arrested by Jammu and Kashmir Police in Kupwara district near the Line of Control while trying to cross over to PaK on October 30, 2017.

They were reportedly going to join the militant outfit, Hizbul Mujahideen.

The NIA said the duo was in constant touch with each other through the Blackberry messenger during the entire month of October before being apprehended.

Palla, arrested along with Feroz Lone, was Tuesday remanded to 10 days’ NIA custody by the special court.