The Kashmir Monitor is now on Telegram. Click here to Join

Delhi seethes, death toll 11

New Delhi, Feb 25: The death toll on Tuesday evening climbed to 11 as violence in areas of Northeast Delhi continued, confirmed authorities at the GTB Hospital where several injured were being brought in throughout the day.

Delhi Police fired tear gas at agitating mobs in Chand Bagh in Northeast Delhi, which has been on boil for the last two days.

 

The violence in the area over the amended citizenship law has claimed 11 lives so far, said GTB Hospital authorities. Four people were declared brought dead by doctors and 35 injured were also brought in, they said.

Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and his deputy Manish Sisodia on Tuesday afternoon visited the injured admitted to the Hospital. Meanwhile, Maujpur area of north-east Delhi continues to be tense with rioters destroying private properties and indulging in arson. Journalists have also been attacked, with rioters forcing them to delete videos and photos of the violence.

The Supreme Court will hear former Chief Information Commissioner Wajahat Habibullah’s petition seeking lodging of FIRs over the violence on Wednesday, while the Delhi High Court will hear petitions seeking an SIT probe and a direction to the Centre to bring in the Army. The apex court is also slated to hear tomorrow two separate petitions seeking removal of Anti-citizenship law protestors from Shaheen Bagh.

Addressing a press conference on Tuesday, Delhi Police spokesperson ACP Mandeep Singh Randhawa confirmed that 186 people have been injured while 10 have died in the violence in northeast Delhi which erupted on Sunday.

 Randhawa also claimed that the situation is under control in Jaffrabad, Gokulpuri, Maujpur areas as the police and government are alert and security has been beefed up in the areas.

 He said that of 186 injured, 56 are policemen and condition of DCP Amit Sharma and Gokulpuri ACP, who are under treatment, is critical.

He said that as of now 11 FIRs have been registered in this regard and several arrests have been made.

 Additional police forces and paramilitary forces have been deployed while senior Delhi police officials are also present at the spot to tackle the situation.

The Delhi Police has told the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) that it did not have adequate forces to immediately control the violence that hit parts of Delhi claiming 10 lives, including that of a policeman, officials said.

The non-availability of adequate forces was conveyed by Delhi Police Commissioner Amulya Patnaik during his meeting with the top brass of the MHA, an official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said.

The official said the Delhi Police told the MHA that it did not have adequate forces to control the northeast Delhi violence immediately, which led to the situation getting aggravated.

The Delhi Police said it is deploying a battalion (around 1,000 personnel) of its armed police in the violence-hit areas.

Another official said the police was provided with a total of 35 companies of paramilitary forces, of which 20 companies were given to it in the last three days, to enhance the security of the national capital during US President Donald Trump’s visit.

The Rapid Action Force (RAF) was being mobilised from the adjoining areas of the national capital for reinforcing the Delhi Police to deal with the situation arising out of the violent clashes.

A head constable was among the 10 persons killed and at least 50 people, including paramilitary and Delhi Police personnel, were injured as violence spiralled over the amended citizenship law in northeast Delhi.

Frenzied protesters torched houses, shops, vehicles and a petrol pump, besides hurling stones at security personnel.