Connect with us

National

Assam tags 1.9 crore names in first draft of NRC; 1.39 crore continues to wait

Monitor News Bureau

Published

🕒

on

IST

Guwahati: The much-awaited first draft of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) was on Monday published with the names of 1.9 crore people out of the 3.29 crore total applicants in Assam recognising them as legal citizens of India.

The rest of the names are under various stages of verification, Registrar General of India, Sailesh said at a press conference held at midnight where he made the draft public.

“This is a part draft. It contains 1.9 crore persons, who have been verified till now. The rest of the names are under various stages of verification. As soon as the verification is done, we will come out with another draft,” he said.

 

NRC State Coordinator Prateek Hajela said those people whose names have been excluded in the first list need not worry.

“It is a tedious process to verify the names. So there is a possibility that some names within a single family may not be there in the first draft,” said Hajela.

“There is no need to panic as rest of the documents are under verification,” he said.

Asked about the possible timeframe for the next draft, the RGI said it will be decided as per the guidelines of the Supreme Court — under whose monitoring the document is being prepared — in its next hearing in April. The entire process will be completed within 2018, Sailesh said.

The application process started in May, 2015 and a total of 6.5 crore documents were received from 68.27 lakh families across Assam.

“The process of accepting complaints will start once the final draft is published as rest of the names are likely to appear in that,” Hajela said.

People can check their names in the first draft at NRC sewa kendras across Assam from 8 am on January 1. They can also check for information online and through SMS services.

The RGI informed that the ground work for this mammoth exercise began in December 2013 and 40 hearings have taken place in the Supreme Court over the last three years.

Assam, which faced influx from Bangladesh since the early 20th century, is the only state having an NRC, first prepared in 1951.

The Supreme Court, which is monitoring the entire process, had ordered that the first draft of the NRC be published by December 31 after completing the scrutiny of over two crore claims along with that of around 38 lakh people whose documents were suspect.


Advertisement
Loading...
Comments

National

Centre, Assam move SC seeking extension of deadline for final NRC

Agencies

Published

on

New Delhi: The Centre and the Assam government on Friday moved the Supreme Court seeking extension of the July 31 deadline for finalisation of the National Register of Citizens (NRC).

The Centre told a bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi that India could not be the refugee capital of the world.

The Union and state governments also sought sample verification of the citizens included in the NRC, saying lakhs of people had been wrongly included in areas bordering Bangladesh due to involvement of local officers.

 

The first draft of the NRC for Assam was published on the intervening night of December 31, 2017 and January 1, 2018 in accordance with the top court’s direction. Names of 1.9 crore people out of the 3.29 crore applicants were incorporated then.

Assam, which had faced influx of people from Bangladesh since the early 20th century, is the only state having an NRC which was first prepared in 1951.

Continue Reading

National

Maya targets BJP, asks it to make public its source of funds during polls

Agencies

Published

on

New Delh: BSP chief Mayawati on Friday targeted the BJP asking it to make public the source of funds received by it during elections and alleged that it could not tolerate when people of deprived sections progressed in business.

The former Uttar Pradesh chief minister’s remarks came a day after the Income Tax Department attached a ‘benami’ commercial plot worth Rs 400 crore in Noida belonging to her brother and his wife.

She asked the BJP to make public the source of Rs 2,000 crore it allegedly collected during elections.

 

“Everybody knows that during elections the BJP got Rs 2,000 crore in its accounts. It is not clear who gave it the money and everyone wants to know its source. Is it benami?” she asked.

She alleged that votes of the poor and deprived were bought in the polls through these funds.

The BJP could not tolerate when people of the deprived sections progressed, especially in business, and used power and government machinery against them, she claimed.Their attempt to crush the voice of the deprived people would not succeed, Mayawati said, adding that her supporters should not think that when she was not spared, what would happen to them.

She said that before pointing a finger at others, the party should introspect.

“If they think they are Harishchander (honest) they should hold a probe about the wealth of their people before and after coming into politics,” she said.

The provisional order for the attachment of the seven-acre plot, beneficially owned by Anand Kumar and his wife Vichiter Lata, was issued on July 16 by the department’s Delhi-based Benami Prohibition Unit (BPU).

Mayawati recently appointed her brother Kumar as national vice president of the BSP.

Benami properties are those in which the real beneficiary is not the one in whose name the property has been purchased.

The plot, where a five-star hotel and other luxury facilities were planned to be created, is registered at no 2A, Sector 94, Noida, in UP’s Gautam Budh Nagar district, part of the National Capital Region.

Continue Reading

National

3 men beaten to death over suspicion of cattle theft in Bihar

Agencies

Published

on

Saran: Two men were beaten to death by locals after suspecting the duo to be cattle thieves in Baniyapur in Saran district on Friday morning, police said.

Villagers claimed that three persons came to steal cows. However, when they tried to catch them, one of the men managed to flee.

“The duo was beaten up by the villagers in a fit of rage. Investigation in the case is underway,” the police said.

 

The bodies of the deceased have been sent for postmortem.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor and receive notifications of new stories by email.

Join 1,011,106 other subscribers

Advertisement

Archives

July 2019
M T W T F S S
« Jun    
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
Advertisement