Help The Kashmir Monitor sustain so that we continue to be editorially independent. Remember, your contributions, however small they may be, matter to us.

Another mother dies at MCCH Anantnag, third death in 2 weeks

body 1
Representational picture

‘Family had not taken care of the deceased lady before delivery’: Principal GMC Anantnag

Srinagar: Three pregnant women have died at Maternity and Child Care Hospital (MCCH) Anantnag in the last two weeks.

The latest victim is Masrat Jan wife of Riyaz Ahmad resident of Manzmoo Qazigund who died on Saturday evening at the hospital.


Sources said Masrat had delivered stillborn baby at her home on Saturday night. As her condition worsened, she was taken to Qazigund hospital.

“When her condition further complicated, she was referred to MCCH Anantnag,” they said.

A doctor at MCCH Anantnag said she was brought to the hospital at 7:15 pm on Saturday.

“She died within minutes after she was rushed into theatre,” the doctor said.

Principal Government Medical College Anantnag Dr Showkat Jeelani said the family had not taken care of the deceased lady before delivery.

“She should have been taken to hospital before delivery. She was almost brought dead to the hospital,” Dr Jeelani said.

Medical Superintendent MCCH Anantnag Dr SM Indrabi said the hospital authorities took samples for COVID-19 test from the dead body, results of which are awaited.

“Her body was kept in mortuary.  Later her family took her body home at midnight. She should have received proper medical care but her family had shown some negligence,” he added.

Earlier this month, 35-year-old Ruqaya, wife of Javed Ahmad from Kharpora-Larnoo village in Kokernag, a designated red zone, died at MCCH, after delivering stillborn twins.

Her body was handed over to the family for last rites. A day after her test returned positive for coronavirus.

Another woman Shakeela, 30, wife of Zahoor Ahmad from Salia village died allegedly due to delay in her treatment at SDH Seer on last Sunday. She was declared bought dead at MCCH Anantnag.

Fearing her samples may be taken for COVID19 testing, the family took the body out of the hospital on a stretcher trolley.

A video also went viral on social media wherein wailing family members were seen carrying her body on a trolley on the road.

District Commissioner Bashir Ahmad Dar earlier this week had assured strict action against any negligence, if any, into the death of two pregnant women after completion of probe within three days.

Additional Deputy Commissioner Anantnag was directed to complete the probe within three days.

“The probe team could not submit report due to the present situation. The probe is at final stage. We expect the report will be submitted soon,” DC Anantnag Bashir Ahmad Dar said on Saturday.

A court has also asked the police to inquire and ascertain the cause of the death of two pregnant women in Anantnag hospitals. It also directed the police to probe the ferrying of the body of a woman by her family on a trolley. (KINS)