Help The Kashmir Monitor sustain so that we continue to be editorially independent. Remember, your contributions, however small they may be, matter to us.

Agreement with China on disengagement at Pangong Lake, says Rajnath in RS

New Delhi: Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on Thursday said that India always conveyed to China that border issues can be resolved through talks. 

Making a statement on ‘present situation in Eastern Ladakh’ in Rajya Sabha, Singh said that Chinese actions near the border areas have impacted the bilateral ties.

He said that Indian armed forces have bravely faced the challenges at the border and Indian security forces “proved that they are ready to face any challenge to protect the sovereignty of the country”.


He said that India is committed to maintaining a peaceful situation at the border. “India has always emphasised on maintaining bilateral ties,” the minister said.

“We have made it clear to China that no attempt should be made to change the status quo. We have had nine round of talks between the two countries and have clarified that both forces should return to their posts,” he said.

He said that “many fraction areas are built near LAC in Eastern Ladakh. China has collected heavy force and arms and ammunition near LAC and in the nearby area on their side”. 

“Our forces have also adequate and effectively done counter deployment,” the Defence Minister said.

“Our sustained talks with China have led to agreement on disengagement on the north and south banks of Pangong Lake. After this agreement, India-China will remove forward deployments in a phased, coordinated manner,” he siad.

Notably, the frontline troops of China and India at the south and north banks of the Pangong Lake in eastern Ladakh started synchronised and organised disengagement from Wednesday. 

The militaries of China and India have been engaged in a tense standoff in eastern Ladakh since early May last year. The two countries have held several rounds of military and diplomatic-level talks to resolve the face-off.