New Delhi: The unending tragedy of 1984 anti-Sikh riots: 11 probe bodies in 33-year journeyThe unending tragedy of 1984 anti-Sikh riots: 11 probe bodies in 33-year journey
1984 anti-Sikh riots: Ex Congress councillor urges Delhi HC not to go for re-trial1984 anti-Sikh riots: Ex Congress councillor urges Delhi HC not to go for re-trial
AAP says its promise of SIT action was derailed by CentreAAP says its promise of SIT action was derailed by Centre
The Supreme Court on Thursday sought a response from Congress leader Sajjan Kumar, an accused in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots case, on a plea filed by the Special Investigation Team (SIT) challenging the anticipatory bail granted to him by the Delhi High Court earlier this year.
Stating it was high time the more-than-30-year-old cases were tried at the earliest, a bench consisting of Justices A K Sikri and Ashok Bhushan also asked why it took around “200 pages” for the high court to grant anticipatory bail to the accused when it could have been done in just “40-50 pages”.
Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Maninder Singh, who appeared for the SIT, said the investigation against Kumar began only in 2016. He added that while granting him anticipatory bail, the high court had said everything will be tested in the trial of the case. However, in the end, the court granted the Congress leader relief on grounds that there was no evidence.
When asked whether all of the above was considered at the time of anticipatory bail, Singh said, “Yes. This is totally contrary to the established procedure of law.” Following this, the bench issued the notice to the Congress leader.
On February 22 this year, the Delhi High Court had upheld a trial court order granting anticipatory bail to Kumar in two anti-Sikh riots cases on grounds that the Congress leader, as per records, was available throughout the probe.
The Congress leader was granted anticipatory bail by the trial court on December 21, 2016 in two cases of killing of three Sikhs during the riots which had occurred after the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi. Kumar had submitted that his name was never taken earlier and it was a case of fresh allegations coming up after 32 years.
The two cases filed against Kumar fall in the jurisdiction of Janakpuri and Vikaspuri police stations in West Delhi. The complaint in Janakpuri pertains to the killing of two Sikhs, Sohan Singh and his son-in-law Avtar Singh, on November 1, 1984 and in the other, where another Sikh, Gurcharan Singh, was burnt on November 2, 1984 in the jurisdiction of Vikaspuri Police Station. Gurcharan, who was half burnt, had remained bed-ridden for 29 years. He died three years ago.
Amritsar attack: CM announces Rs 50 lakh for information on attackers
Chandigarh: Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh on Monday announced a reward of Rs 50 lakh to anyone giving information regarding the two youth who carried out Sunday’s grenade attack on a prayer meeting at the Nirankari Satsang Bhawan of Amritsar district.
The Punjab Police has formed several teams to investigate the grenade attack in Adliwal village in Rajasansi area. CCTV footage of places near the blast was being scanned to know more about the two masked attackers.
Forensic teams and a team of the National Investigation Agency (NIA) reached the spot late on Sunday to start the probe.
While some injured have been discharged from the Amritsar hospital, others are still recuperating. One of the injured was still serious, a police officer said.
Inspector General (Border Range) S.P.S. Parmar told the media on Monday that the probe would look at all angles and police teams were trying to trace the culprits.
In a major attack, three persons were killed and 20 injured when two motorcycle-borne youth threw a grenade at a Nirankari congregation about 15 km from Amritsar.
The attack on the campus located in the rural belt, around three kilometres from the Guru Ram Das Jee Amritsar international airport, created panic.
All victims were sect followers from nearby villages who had gathered for the weekly Sunday religious meeting.
Punjab Director General of Police Suresh Arora, who immediately rushed to the spot along with senior officers, claimed that it was a “terror act”.
The Punjab Police has drawn flak for intelligence failure regarding the attack despite the border state being on high alert since Nov 14 regarding the movement of six to seven suspects in the state.
Eyewitnesses told the police that two youths on a motorcycle, their faces covered, forced entry to the sect campus by pointing a pistol at a woman volunteer at the gate.
There were around 200 followers in the campus at the time.
Amarinder Singh, who on Sunday directed the police to immediately enhance security arrangements at all sensitive places, terming it as “the first such indiscriminate attack on innocent people in recent past”, said that the “possibility of involvement of ISI-based Khalistani/Kashmiri groups cannot be ruled out”.
The Nirankari sect, with headquarters in Delhi, has millions of followers across the country and abroad.
‘First temple, then govt’: Shiv Sena’s new slogan ahead of 2019
Mumbai: Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray sought to intensify the party’s campaign for Ram temple in Ayodhya by giving a new slogan which called for the construction of temple before government.
Thackeray held a meeting with senior party leaders to review preparations for his visit to Ayodhya on November 24 and 25. Sena leaders from outside Maharashtra too attended the meeting.
“Har Hindu ki yahi pukar, pehle mandir fir sarkar (Every Hindu has one demand, the temple first and then government),” he said at a press conference which was held later.
The Shiv Sena, which is the part of the BJP-led governments in both Maharashtra and the Centre, has been aggressively pushing for the construction of the temple since the party’s annual Dussehra rally last month.
The party has often taunted its ally BJP over the saffron party’s “failure” to construct the temple in the last four years despite coming to power.
Thackeray also asked party workers to conduct a ‘maha aarati’ (grand puja) on November 24 all over the state as well as in other parts of the country where the Sena has presence.
He will be conducting ‘Sarayu puja’ on November 24 in Ayodhya.
“All Sena workers will perform puja on the same day and same time in their respective areas,” said Thackeray.
Activists of Hindu outfit threaten to perform ‘puja’ inside Taj Mahal
New Delhi : A day after women belonging to a local Hindu outfit barged inside the mosque at Taj Mahal and offered ‘puja’ and did ‘aarti’ inside the premises, Rashtriya Bajrang Dal activists threatened to do a similar thing.
The activists were protesting against the security agency’s failure to stop a Muslim group from offering prayers inside the mosque, which is in violation of the Supreme Court order, IANS reported.
The president of Rashtriya Bajrang Dal’s women’s wing president Meena Diwakar claimed that namaz was being offered inside the temple premises every day and if the guilty were caught and punished for breaking the law then they too were ready to face any police action.
“Permission was granted for offering namaz once on Friday but it has been offered on other days too. So we also offered ‘aarti’. We are prepared to face action if those violating the norms by offering ‘namaz’ on weekdays are punished,” HT quoted Diwakar saying.
The incident comes on the backdrop of an ongoing war of words between the ASI and members of Masjid Taj Mahal Intezamia Committee, which manages the mosque, over a Supreme Court order on Taj Mahal.
ASI contends the SC order implies that namaz can only be offered on Fridays by local residents, whereas the committee members say the order means that free entry for locals is on Fridays, while on all other days, anyone who has bought a ticket can offer namaz. The apex court had upheld a local administration’s January order barring non-residents from offering Friday prayers in the mosque on security ground.
Members of the committee allege that around 10 days ago, ASI locked the vazu tank, where namazis wash hands and feet before prayers, and even asked the imam to show up only on Fridays.
The move has invited ire of the local Muslims, who contend that they have been offering namaz inside the mosque for 400 years now and can’t be stopped by the ASI. They contend that the SC order merely bars non-locals on Fridays while there is no word on not allowing namaz on other days.
Subscribe to our mailing list and get breaking news and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.