Connect with us

Business

Transport strike keeps around 93 lakhs trucks off roads

Press Trust of India

Published

🕒

on

IST

Mumbai :Half of around 93 lakh trucks remained off the roads while buses plied as usual in most parts of the country on the first day of the transport strike called by All Indian Motor Transport Congress (AIMTC). The authorities warned that prices of essential goods would rise if the strike continues beyond Sunday.
The AIMTC called for the nationwide strike on Thursday after negotiations with the central government — transport and finance ministries — failed on Thursday night. The transporters want relief from rising costs sparked by increase in diesel prices, toll charges, third party insurance and national permits for passenger vehicles. They are also demanding that fuel be brought under the GST.
Friday being the first day of the strike, most states did not report any shortages of essential goods even though the wholesale markets reported marginal reduction of daily arrivals. “The arrival of fruits and vegetables in the market was slightly less than yesterday. This was mainly because the trucks already carrying goods were not stopped and they arrived till early this morning,” said a trader at Asia’s biggest wholesale market in Azadpur.
Transport of fruits and vegetables from Haryana, Uttarakhand, Punjab and Himachal, the major supplier states during the monsoon months to the National Capital Region (NCR) centred on Delhi, was stalled to a large extent. “We are closely monitoring the situation. But, as of now, Delhi has not been affected by the strike,” said a Delhi transport department official. Haryana transport minister Krishan Panwar said he had not received reports of any services getting hit by the strike even as truck unions claimed full participation.
In several states such as Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Haryana and Punjab, there was modest participation of truck unions in the strike. AIMTC president S?K?Mittal, however, said the response was “good” and the strike will gain momentum in coming days.
“While private buses remained unaffected, trucks are not being allowed to move across the city Friday afternoon onwards,” said KS Atwal, AIMTC chairman, adding vehicles carrying essential goods will operate.
“As per our information from 75 trunk routes the response has not been huge. To me, it was not more than 40% participation,” said S P Singh, director of the Indian Foundation of Transport Research and Training.
In Bihar, builders feared the strike will lead to a rise in prices of construction material, which has already gone up because of a court ban on sand mining in the state. In Uttar Pradesh, traders said the prices will rise once the stocks with local traders start drying up. Madhya Pradesh’s principal secretary Malay Shrivastava said the effect of the strike had been minimal and was hopeful of an early resolution.
In Maharashtra, where even private bus unions supported the strike, there was some impact on school buses while the majority of the trucks remained off the roads. “About 90% of school buses were off the roads. Only the buses owned by schools were playing,” said Anil Garg, leader of the School Bus Owners Association.
Maharashtra’s transport commissioner Shekhar Channe said: “The supply of essential commodities is normal. We are closely monitoring the situation and district level committees have been formed to tackle the situation.”
In Dehradun, public transport was affected as private buses, including those on contract with schools, autorickshaws and taxis participated in the strike.
“We understand that because of our strike, people had to face problems. But for us, it was necessary to make the administration pay attention to our valid demands,” said president of the Dehradun city-bus association, Vijaywardhan Dandriyal.


Advertisement
Loading...
Comments

Business

RBI’s vision document on payment systems to spur digital economy: Fintech firms

Agencies

Published

on

New Delhi: The RBI’s ‘Payment Systems Vision 2021’ document would act as a catalyst for promoting digital economy and instill confidence among the general public, fintech companies say.

Aiming at a ‘cash-lite’ society, the Reserve Bank of India last week released the vision document for ensuring a safe, secure, convenient, quick and affordable e-payment system as it expects the number of digital transactions to increase more than four times to 8,707 crore in December 2021.

The RBI has said it will implement the approach outlined in the document during the period 2019 – 2021.

 

COO of Payworld Praveen Dhabhai said the vision document has a focus on empowering payment system providers and at the same time providing ease to consumers.

“We are confident with our vision as a payment system provider aligned with the regulators, we will be able to contribute in increasing the digital transactions penetrations especially in the assisted segment in smaller cities and rural Indian,” he said.

Navin Surya, Chairman Emeritus, Payments Council of India said: “Clarity in defining outcomes in terms of scale of digital and overall payments vis a vis GDP is a very good measurement to look forward to and also assess the impact of work done by all stakeholders.”

However, KYC simplicity, digital KYC and KYC bureau, as well as simplification of existing policies to enable NBFCs to issue credit cards is missing from the document, said Surya, who is also the chairman of Fintech Convergence Council.

Mandar Agashe, founder and vice chairman, Sarvatra Technologies, was of the opinion that the 24X7 helpline that the RBI plans to set will help in instilling confidence in customers regarding the digital payments system.

Other than this, geo-tagging of payment system touchpoints will help companies understand where and what type of transactions are taking place, which will also lead to curtailing frauds, he added.

The document said payment systems like UPI/IMPS are likely to register average annualised growth of over 100 per cent and NEFT at 40 per cent over the vision period (up to December 2021).

The ‘Payment and Settlement Systems in India: Vision 2019 – 2021’, with its core theme of ‘Empowering Exceptional (E)payment Experience’, envisages to achieve “a highly digital and cash-lite society” through the goal posts of competition, cost effectiveness, convenience and confidence (4Cs).

Gaurav Chopra, founder and CEO, IndiaLends, said, “With growing competition, industry players will be able to offer services at an optimal cost to their customers. RBI aims to bring innovation in technology and processes that will eventually save time of end consumers.”

CEO and co-founder of NiYO, Vinay Bagri said some of the measures proposed by RBI, such as self-regulatory organisation, strengthening offline payments and feature phone-based payment services, will go a long way in democratising the payments ecosystem.

Continue Reading

Business

PE inflow in Indian retail real estate doubles to $1.2 bn in 2017, 2018: Anarock

Agencies

Published

on

New Delhi: Indian retail real estate sector attracted private equity investment worth USD 1.2 billion during 2017-18 calendar years, double from the previous two years, according to property consultant Anarock.

The consultant attributed the sharp rise in private equity (PE) inflow to further liberalisation in FDI policies such as 51 percent FDI in multi-brand retail and 100 percent FDI in single-brand retail under the automatic route.

From an investment of USD 600 million during 2015-2016 calendar years, private equity inflows in retail real estate jumped to over USD 1.2 billion between 2017 and 2018.

 

Of total USD 1.84 billion inflow in the last 4 years (2015-2018), tier II and tier III cities attracted nearly 48 percent funds (USD 880 million) against USD 960 million in tier 1 cities.

Top favoured tier II and tier III cities included Amritsar, Ahmedabad, Bhubaneshwar, Chandigarh, Indore and Mohali.

US-based funds like Blackstone and Goldman Sachs have invested more than USD 1 billion between 2015-2018, while UAE, Singapore, Canada and Netherlands based funds were also active.

Shobhit Agarwal, MD & CEO – Anarock Capital says, “our report highlights the fact that unlike the commercial office sector, retail is to some extent geography-agnostic because its success depends on the spending power of its target audience.?

“As a result, shopping malls in tier II and tier III cities have performed as well as, if not better than, their tier 1 counterparts. This also led to increase in rentals and profitability and caused PE investors to start considering investment options outside their accustomed tier I geographies,? he added.

Anuj Kejriwal, MD & CEO – Anarock Retail said, “the opportunity that the Indian retail sector holds in store for PE investors is more than evident – as are the geographies they must focus on for optimum returns.?

Anarock data reveals that around 39 million sq ft of organised retail space is expected to enter the market between 2019-2022. Of this supply, around 71 percent is expected to come up in tier I cities, and the remaining 29 percent in tier II and tier III cities, Kejriwal added.

Continue Reading

Business

Cash, goods worth Rs 3,400 crore seized during Lok Sabha elections 2019:EC

Agencies

Published

on

New Delhi: After the completion of the seventh and final phase of polling , the Election Commission said cash, drugs, liquor and precious metals worth Rs 3,449.12 crore were seized by enforcement agencies since the Lok Sabha polls were announced on March 10.

This is thrice of what agencies seized during the 2014 Lok Sabha poll process. In 2014, law enforcement agencies made seizures worth Rs 1,206 crore, the EC’s director general (election expenditure) Dilip Sharma said.

Law enforcement agencies between March 10 and May 19 seized Rs 839.03 crore in cash, liquor worth Rs 294.41 crore, drugs worth Rs 1,270.37 crore, precious metals, including gold, worth Rs 986.76 crore and “freebies”, including sarees, wrist watches, aimed at inducing voters worth Rs 58.56 crore were seized.

 

EC officials said they directed social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter and WhatsApp, to remove several that were found to violate the EC’s code.They said social media platforms removed 909 posts. Facebook removed 650 posts, Twitter took down 220 posts, ShareChat removed 31, YouTube five and WhatsApp three.

Of the 650 posts taken down by Facebook, 482 were political messages posted during the “silence period”. The “silence period” starts 48 hours before the hour set for conclusion of polling in a particular phase. The seventh phase of polling came to a close at 6 pm on Sunday, so the “silence period” had begun at 6 pm on Friday for this phase.

As many as 73 social media posts were political advertisements in the “silence period”, two were in violation of the Model Code of Conduct, 43 were related to voter “misinformation”, 28 were dubbed as those crossing the limits of decency, 11 were related to exit polls and 11 were hate speeches, Ojha said.

There were also 647 confirmed cases of paid news, of which the maximum of 342 were reported in the first phase itself, he added. During the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, 1,297 confirmed cases of paid news were reported, Ojha said.

The EC on Sunday continued to receive criticism from the Opposition while Prime Minister Narendra Modi thanked it for granting him permission for his visit to Uttarakhand’s Kedarnath temple.

Modi visited Kedarnath on Saturday, spent the night in a cave and left for Badrinath on Sunday morning. “I did not ask for anything. I don’t believe in asking because God only wants us to give… all I want is ‘Baba’ Kedarnath bestows his blessings not just upon India but entire mankind,” he said at Kedarnath.

The PM thanked the EC for allowing him to undertake the visit, saying he got two days of “rest” there. The EC had given its nod to Modi’s visit while “reminding” the Prime Minister’s Office that the model code of conduct is still in force.

Congress President Rahul Gandhi said the Election Commission’s “capitulation” before the PM was obvious. “From electoral bonds and EVMs (electronic voting machines) to manipulating the election schedule, NaMo TV, ‘Modi’s Army’ & now the drama in Kedarnath; the Election Commission’s capitulation before Mr Modi & his gang is obvious to all Indians,” Gandhi tweeted. “The EC used to be feared and respected. Not anymore,” he said.

“Polling is over. Now, we can say that the ‘pilgrimage’ of the PM in the last two days is an unacceptable use of religion and religious symbols to influence the voting,” Congress leader P Chidambaram said.

Telugu Desam Party chief N Chandrababu Naidu wrote to the EC stating that “continuous” telecast of the PM’s “private activities” at Badrinath and Kedarnath shrines were in violation of the poll code and should be stopped.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor and receive notifications of new stories by email.

Join 1,010,460 other subscribers

Archives

May 2019
M T W T F S S
« Apr    
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
Advertisement