This Era of 21st century has resulted in several girls are now depending their lives on contraceptive pills. But they are neglecting the fact that these contraceptive pills are actually taking a toll on their health and life. Birth control pills toil by preventing ovulation where in no egg is produced in the female’s body. So, there is nothing absolutely no chance for the sperm to fertilize.
Consuming a contraceptive pill has its own set of advantages as well as disadvantages in the sense, that on one end it prevents pregnancy and on the other hand, it leaves several and severe side effects. The consequences of the contraceptive pills can also be for a long time. These side effects are unknown to many and are as follows:
1. Unwanted Weight Gain: The effects of contraceptive pills often leave several abnormal side effects. There is a constant link between the weight and the contraceptive pill as its harsh effects of leads to accumulation of fluids in the hips and the back of a woman. Fluctuations in the sex hormones also lead several women bloated and these effects may be triggered if a woman is suffering from irritable bowel syndrome and other gastrointestinal tract disorders. Also, many women tend to gain weight therefore, keep a check on what you are eating, avoid junk food and eat fruits. Keep yourself hydrated and start exercising.
2. Nausea: One of a very common side effect associated with contraceptive pills is nausea. The effect of nausea stays for a while but usually goes away with time. It is advised to take a pill with a meal as it shall adjust to new levels of estrogen and progesterone. If these effects stay for over 3 months, it becomes essential for the woman to go and see a lady doctor urgently.
3. Lowered Libido: The hormonal changes caused by the contraceptive pills can lead to lowered or decreased sexual desires for women. The willingness of indulging in sexual activities generally lowers down after women consume contraceptive pills. It can also augment, as well but in most cases it lowers down. The increase or decrease in the level of libido is disturbing, upsetting or alarming the woman, then she must seek guidance for her doctor.
4. Tender Breasts: As a consequence of consuming pill, the breasts of the woman might get tender or even larger. One can also feel consistent and continual pain in the breasts.
5. Headaches: The contraceptive pill can often trigger headaches for the worse so it is important that you seek medical help. The headaches can be so severe that can hamper your daily course of routine too. If it is bothering you, ask your doctor to change your medicines.
6. Mood Swings: The hormonal changes in the body often leave you emotional, agonised, irritated and even depressed.
7. Irregular Periods: One of the very natural side effects of contraceptive pills is irregular periods and even changes in the period cycle. A woman can even face excessive bleeding, spotting or even lighter periods.
8. Others: Some other factors that of contraceptive pills could be vaginal discharge, loss of vision or dryness in the eyes, migraine, jaundice, abdominal pain etc.
In conversation with Dr. Rita Bakshi, Senior Gynaecologist and IVF Expert, International Fertility Centre
Reasons Why You Should Start Your Day With Ginger
Ginger is often used to add extra flavour to your tea. Ayurveda advises using ginger for various medicinal purposes. It has a strong taste and aroma which makes it can an appropriate element for your cup of tea. But you can add a change to your morning by adding ginger to it. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and something like ginger which is loaded with health benefits can make your breakfast healthier. Adding it your tea is the easiest way to consume ginger but you can also try other methods to consume ginger as well. Here are 5 reasons why you should add ginger to your morning routine.
Health benefits of ginger
- Aids in weight loss
Ginger can help you control your appetite. If you consume ginger every morning you will experience reduced urge to eat. The best way to consume ginger for weight loss is ginger water. To male ginger water, you need to boil cups of water first. Then add at least two slices of ginger to it. Boil it for some time and later strain the mixture. You can drink it both hot and cold according to your preference. Consumption of ginger water every morning will regulate blood sugar levels as well.
- Better hair and skin health
Regular consumption of ginger water every morning can help you achieve flawless hair and skin. Ditch all the chemical loaded products for skin and hair and switch to ginger. The antioxidants and the vitamins present in ginger are beneficial for both hair and skin. It will also ensure better protection against skin infections and diseases.
- Improves gut health
You can say goodbye to all your digestive disorders with ginger. Adding ginger to your breakfast will give you a strong digestive system. It will give you relief from indigestion, nausea and heartburn. You can prepare ginger water for better digestion as well. To enhance its taste and benefits simply add mint, lemon juice and one teaspoon honey to it.
- Reduces inflammation
Ginger is popularly known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Staring your day with ginger regularly will result in reduces inflammation for long term. Arthritis patients can add ginger to their breakfast without giving a second thought. You will also notice relief from other body pains and swelling.
- Better cholesterol levels
Ginger can manage your cholesterol levels as well. Increase in bad cholesterol can trigger the risk of various chronic diseases. It is extremely bad for your heart health. You can reduce your LDL (bad cholesterol) levels with ginger.
You can experiment various methods to use ginger in the morning. You can prepare ginger tea, ginger jam, ginger smoothie or can simply add it to your soup.
Testosterone replacement therapy can rise stroke risk in men
Aging men with low testosterone levels who take testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) are at a greater risk of experiencing an ischemic stroke or a cardiac arrest, especially during the first two years of use, warn researchers.
Published in The American Journal of Medicine, the findings confirm concerns voiced by many health agencies about the potential risks associated with the treatment.
“Our findings show that the use of TRT was associated with an increased risk of stroke, transient ischemic attack or cardiac arrest during the first two years of use,” said Christel Renoux of McGill University in Canada.
According to researchers, there is a limited evidence on the long-term clinical benefits of TRT to effectively treat the modestly declining levels of endogenous testosterone levels of aging but healthy men.
“We strongly recommend that clinicians proceed with caution when considering prescribing TRT and first discuss both the potential benefits and risks with patients,” Renoux said.
The study analysed a large database of electronic medical records of patients enrolled in primary care practices in the UK and formed a cohort of 15,401 men, aged 45 years or older, with low testosterone levels (hypogonadism).
Users of TRT had a 21% greater risk of cardiovascular events compared with non-users, corresponding to an additional 128 events.
The increased risk appears to be transient, declining after two years of TRT use, which the investigators attribute to a phenomenon called “depletion of susceptible.”
High intensity interval training can improve health
An international research team has now found that bringing the science of high intensity interval training (HIIT) into everyday life could be the key to helping unfit, overweight people get more of the exercise they need to improve their health.
According to experts, from washing the car to climbing stairs or carrying groceries, each of these activities is an opportunity for short sharp bursts of ‘High Intensity Incidental Physical Activity’, HIIPA for short.
Speaking about it, study author Emmanuel Stamatakis said, “Regular incidental activity that gets you huffing and puffing even for a few seconds has great promise for health.”
In a study, published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, Stamatakis and colleagues argue that when considering differences in physical capabilities by age, sex and weight, many daily tasks can be classified as ‘high intensity’ physical activity. That is, the kind of activity that gets you out of breath enough to boost your fitness.
According to them, including these kinds of activities into routines a few times a day will see significant health benefits for the majority of adults.
Professor Stamatakis added, “There is a lot of research telling us that any type of HIIT, irrespective of the duration and number of repetitions is one of the most effective ways to rapidly improve fitness and cardiovascular health and HIIPA works on the same idea.”
According to study authors the time commitment for HIIPA is close to zero minutes per day, and people could save even more time if their HIIPA involves brief walking sprints, or taking the stairs instead of waiting for the lift. Furthermore, other practical advantages are nil costs, no need for equipment and no concerns about a lack of skill or fitness.