GURGAON: The head of cricket’s world body said the sport’s ‘spirit’ is under threat after recent scandals — ranging from racist comments to corruption — that have tarnished its reputation.
The International Cricket Council (ICC) chief executive David Richardson, speaking just days after Pakistan captain Sarfraz Ahmed was banned for four games, insisted that tough action will be taken over misconduct and match-fixing.
Sarfraz was banned last Sunday for making a racial slur against a South African player in Durban and has since returned home from the tour.
The sport is also still reeling from the controversy that embroiled Australian players Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft after they were caught tampering the ball during a Test against South Africa and banned.
“Regarding player conduct, in recent times we have had some incidents around the world and we have taken necessary steps to ensure that everybody understands the spirit of cricket,” Richardson told reporters in Gurgaon. “The spirit of cricket is something unique to the game and something that we need to protect.”
Sri Lanka is at the centre of a major corruption investigation and Richardson reiterated ICC efforts to disrupt crime gangs believed to be behind match-fixing attempts.
The ICC has urged Sri Lankan players and coaches to give evidence on corruption before an amnesty expires this month.
Sri Lankan cricket has been at the centre of allegations including attempted match fixing ahead of a Test against England last year.
“In recent years we have taken a much more pro-active approach to trying to disrupt these unscrupulous individuals that wander around the earth trying to fix cricket,” said Richardson. “The players have been very good at reporting any approach they get.
“Now you read more about anti-corruption in the media but that’s not because it’s getting worse but it’s because we are trying do much more to disrupt these criminal elements,” he added.
The former South African player is to stand down as ICC boss after this year’s World Cup when Manu Sawhney of India is to take over.
Richardson said the increased use of technology in the sport and efforts to boost the standing of Test cricket with a world championship had been his focus.
“Finally we convinced members that having a Test league is required. Probably that stands out as one of the things that I will proud of,” he remarked.
I will always be there for development of football : Chhetri
New Delhi: Sunil Chhetri, the all-time leading scorer for India in international football, says he is always there to help develop the sport in the national capital, where he was brought up.
The 34-year-old Padma Shri was conferred the first ever Football Ratna honour by Football Delhi, the association governing the sport in the city.
“I am honoured by the kind gesture of Football Delhi and recognising me with the Football Ratna award. My support will always be there for the development of football in Delhi and I am sure the current management is working hard to develop football in Delhi and make Delhi a model football state in India,” Chhetri said.
Football Delhi president Shaji Prabhakaran, himself a former player of repute and administrator at the All India Football Federation and FIFA, presented the award to Chhetri.
“We are inspired by the spectacular achievements of Sunil. His professionalism, dedication, discipline and passion, on and off the field, is an example not only for the football fraternity but also for every Indian to dream big and achieve something spectacular in life,” Prabhakaran said.
“It is a great honour for us to confer the first ever Football Ratna to Sunil Chhetri and we express our gratitude and thanks to Sunil for his time and inspiration to develop football in Delhi.” On the occasion, Football Delhi also honoured Shubham Sarangi, youth player from Delhi who is currently the player of Delhi Dynamos squad for ISL. Shubham was part of AIFF Youth Academy since the age of 12 years and represented India in U-14 and U-17 youth national teams.
Lacazette sent off in Arsenal loss; Chelsea, Napoli win
London: Arsenal suffered a shock 1-0 defeat at BATE Borisov on a night forward Alexandre Lacazette will want to forget after being sent off late on, while Chelsea, Inter Milan and Napoli all won away in Europa League last 32 first-leg ties.
Spanish sides Sevilla, Valencia and Villarreal also tasted victory on the road, while Benfica, Club Brugge and Plzen have the upper hand heading into next week’s second legs.
Arsenal had scored 10 goals in two matches against BATE Borisov in the same competition in 2017 but never looked like being as prolific in the freezing temperatures of Belarus.
BATE took the lead when Stanislav Dragun nodded a free kick past Arsenal goalkeeper Peter Cech seconds before halftime after Lacazette put a header wide midway through the first half.
To compound his misery Lacazette was shown a red card five minutes from time for felling Aleksandar Filipovic with an elbow after the defender held him back and was also booked.
Arsenal’s London neighbours Chelsea did much better in similar temperatures, overcoming Malmo 2-1 in Sweden.
Ross Barkley gave the 2013 winners the lead when he stabbed home from close range on the half-hour and Oliver Giroud got his fifth goal in four Europa League matches with a slick back heel from a Willian cross 14 minutes into the second half.
Malmo’s Anders Christiansen scored a lovely goal on the break to make it 2-1 but the Swedes could not level the tie.
Italian clubs also enjoyed success with Napoli beating Zurich 3-1 in Switzerland, while Inter Milan’s Lautaro Martinez netted a 39th minute penalty for a 1-0 win at Rapid Vienna.
Napoli captain Lorenzo Insigne put the visitors ahead after 12 minutes as he capitalised on a dreadful mistake by keeper Yanick Brecher and Jose Callejon doubled their lead in the 21st when he slotted home from Kevin Malcuit’s low cross.
Piotr Zielinski got the third 13 minutes from time before Benjamin Kololli grabbed a consolation from the penalty spot.
In the only tie featuring two teams who dropped down from the Champions League, visitors Benfica beat Galatasaray 2-1 after taking the lead in the 27th minute when Salvio converted a penalty given for handball.
Never thought India call-up would come so early: Markande
Mumbai: Mayank Markande had just demolished the England Lions with an impressive 5/31 to help India A register a comprehensive win by an innings-and-68-run win inside three days in the second and final unofficial Test, in Mysore. But moments just got better for the 21-year-old after being included in the Indian T20I side which will face Australia in the two-match series from February 24.
But the India call-up is a bolt from the blue for the youngster who has been in impressive form over the past few months. “Get a national call-up is the biggest achievement in a player’s career. To be honest I was not expecting this. I did not think I would get included the national set-up this early. I consider myself really lucky,” said Markande.
The last one year has been “amazing” for Markande where he played 7 first-class matches and picked up 34 wickets at an average of 21.26 (including three five-wicket hauls.) But he attributes his India call-up to years of hard work.
“My performances in the Ranji Trophy along with meaningful performances for India A must have been noticed by the selectors. and I am really happy that they have given me a chance to prove myself,” he said.
Inclement weather forecast: Kashmir colleges to remain closed until Feb 21
SRINAGAR, FEBRUARY 17: In view of the inclement weather forecast, the Divisional administration in Kashmir has ordered deferred reopening of...
Governor announces ex-gratia of Rs 20 lakh for the family of Naseer Ahmad
JAMMU FEBRUARY 17: Governor Satya Pal Malik has announced an ex-gratia relief of Rs 20 lakh to the next of...
Government withdraws security cover of separatist leaders in Kashmir
SRINAGAR, FEBUARY 17: The Government is issuing orders withdrawing all security and any government facilities provided to the separatist leaders-...