Connect with us

Sports

Shoaib Mohammad blows whistle on PCB’s working, slams Sethi

Agencies

Published

🕒

on

IST

Lahore: Former Pakistan cricketer Shoaib Mohammad  alleged Pakistan Cricket Board, under its ex-chairman Najam Sethi, of denting his track record.

Shoaib, who was appointed as Pakistan’s fielding coach during 2014-15, was removed after a short span of time.

“I was given fielding coach role in 2014-15 on a short notice and I did quite well. However, out of nowhere, I was removed from the role which was surprising for me. I don’t have any clue what Najam Sethi was thinking which made me extremely angry. He dented my track record,” Shoaib said, according to Express Tribune.

 

“Whenever the board is desperate to find a neutral member for a selection committee, they get in touch with me. Every time, I’ve been given this role in these situations,” he added.

Recalling his team selection for 2009 World T20, which Pakistan won by 8 wickets in the finals against Sri Lanka, Shoaib said although the team succeeded, it was disappointing that the selection committee was dissolved soon after.

“Abdul Qadir went to Abu Dhabi while Saleem Jafar went to Karachi for personal work. Me and Younis selected the team for the World T20. They went on to win the whole tournament but just after a week of Pakistan’s victory, our selection committee was dissolved,” he said.

Meanwhile, when asked about the current Pakistan line-up, Shoaib said, “Overall standard of batting in Pakistan on a good wicket is reasonably well but it not often that you get your desired wicket. In my assessment, our team lacks how to play on difficult wickets. They don’t know how to bat session by session and what strokes to play. Apart from a few, there are not enough big name in foreign coaches who can correct these mistakes.”

“I don’t rate him (Mickey Arthur). Apart from winning and losing, there were numerous times, I saw a lack of guidance and authority. He should have told the players how to play on difficult wickets,” he added on Head Coach Mickey Arthur’s work so far with Pakistan team.

Currently, Pakistan are playing their third and final Test against New Zealand, which is also the decider as the former equalised the series by an innings and 16 runs in the second Test match at Abu Dhabi.


Advertisement
Loading...
Comments

Sports

Ganguly backs Dhawan to shine at ICC World Cup

Agencies

Published

on

Mumbai:There is not a bowler in the world that can stop Shikhar Dhawan when the opener is in determined mood and the left-hander will be crucial to Indias hopes at this years Cricket World Cup, former captain Sourav Ganguly has said.

Dhawan smashed 97 not out off 63 balls in Delhi Capitalsseven-wicket victory against Kolkata Knight Riders in Fridays Indian Premier League (IPL) contest at Eden Gardens, much to the delight of Ganguly, an advisor to the Capitals.

Captain Virat Kohli and his deputy Rohit Sharma are India`s batting mainstays in one-day cricket but Ganguly puts Dhawan, who has 16 centuries from 128 ODIs with a 93-plus strike rate, in the same league.

 

“The three best players in one-day cricket — Dhawan, Rohit, Virat,” Ganguly told the IPL website. “When he (Dhawan) gets set and gets in he`s unstoppable.

“All I expect from him is determination. When he is determined, no bowler in the world can stop him.”

Dhawan`s second fifty of this IPL season, which catapulted Delhi into the top four, augurs well for India ahead of the May 30 to July 14 World Cup in England and Wales.

Along with opening partner Rohit, the onus will be on Dhawan to give India strong starts in the tournament and the southpaw has performed well on English soil.

Named man of the series in their triumphant 2013 Champions Trophy campaign, Dhawan was also the tournament`s leading scorer four years later when India lost in the final to Pakistan.

“If he gets set, he takes the game away. This is how he plays for India,” Ganguly, who led India to the final of the 2003 World Cup, later told reporters. “He`s a class act.”

Two-time champions India begin their World Cup campaign against South Africa in Southampton on June 5.

Continue Reading

Sports

Olympique Lyon’s Champions League spot under threat after Nantes defeat

Agencies

Published

on

London: Olympique Lyonnais` Champions League qualifying hopes were hit as they were beaten 2-1 at Nantes in Ligue 1.

Third-placed Lyon, who hold the final Champions League qualifying spot, were undone by Anthony Limbombes late free-kick after Martin Terrier had cancelled out Kalifa Coulibalys opener for Nantes.

Lyon are on 56 points with six games left, six ahead of fourth-placed St Etienne, who play their game in hand at home against Girondins de Bordeaux on Sunday.

 

It was Lyon`s third straight defeat in all competitions after they were knocked out of the French Cup semi-finals by Stade Rennes and lost at home to lowly Dijon in the league last weekend.

The result leaves an even bigger question mark over coach Bruno Genesio`s future, with the club set to make a decision on whether to extend his contract at the end of the season.

With Nabil Fekir, Memphis Depay and Marcelo on the bench, Lyon got off to a bad start.

Coulibaly opened the scoring in the 11th minute after collecting a though ball from Majeed Waris.

Lyon were shaken by the hosts but weathered the storm and equalised one minute before the interval when Terrier curled a fine shot into the back of the net to finish off a counter-attack.

Limbombe earned Nantes victory seven minutes from fulltime with an inch-perfect free-kick, lifting the Canaries up to 15th in the table on 34 points.

Continue Reading

Sports

Defender Gomez sign two-year contract extension in East Bengal

Agencies

Published

on

Mumbai: East Bengal fans will heave a huge sigh of relief after their star defender Borja Gomes decided to sign a contract extension with the club and not follow Jobby Justin to go out. The Kolkata-based club is in the process of becoming a part of the ISL next season with I-League’s future looking bleak.

East Bengal came agonizingly close to lift the I-League title yet again this season before Chennai City FC eventually won it as the Kolkata club finished second.And with I-League looking to either get dissolved or set to get demoted to the second division, it was important for East Bengal to finish high on the table.

However, that wasn’t enough for the club to retain their star striker Jobby Justin, who signed a pre-contract with two-time ISL champions ATK just after the I-League ended and the Super Cup was in its quarter-final stage. But, the club was quick to react after that setback and on Friday handed a two-year contract extension to Spanish defender Borja Gomez.

 

“East Bengal FC are pleased to announce the renewal of contract with Borja Gomez Perez for the next two seasons,” the club said in a statement.

“According to him, this is the best team and ‘fans are the best in India’,” the statement added.

The Madrid-born La-Liga star, who is nick-named as the ‘Senapati’, was one of the key members for the club last season and has been a motivator for the team both on and off the field. Gomez has previously played for Granada CF, Real Oviedo, Hercules CF, Real Murcia and more before East Bengal had signed him from UD Sanse in January last year.

East Bengal has already announced their bid for ISL in a board meeting and are currently waiting for the terms to get financially acceptable.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor

Enter your email address to subscribe to this The Kashmir Monitor and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,021,459 other subscribers

Archives

November 2019
M T W T F S S
« Oct    
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
Advertisement