Srinagar, Jun 13: Few hours of rain are enough to create a flood scare in Kashmir.Thanks to the unfulfilled promises and incomplete flood prevention projects announced post 2014 deluge, the government’s tall claims to avert future disasters seem to have fallen flat in the valley.
Due to rains for the last few days, the waters of the Jhelum reached the dangerous level of 18 feet on Thursday. Several villages in Budgam have been inundated due to the flash floods and water logging.
This has become a common phenomenon in Kashmir following 2014 floods. Even the moderate rainfall is enough to swell the water level of Jhelum.
The Union Ministry of Water Resources in December 2014 asked the state government for framing of the detailed project report for the 80-km Dogripora flood channel to be constructed from Awantipora in south Kashmir to Wular Lake in north Kashmir’s Bandipora district.
Under this mega project, Rs 18,000 crore flood channel was to be constructed to carry the surplus flood discharge of Jhelum.
“However, nothing has been done in this regard so far. Even the government has failed to frame the detailed project report,” said a top source in Irrigation and Flood Control Department.
In July 2015, the first-ever disaster management plan was approved by the cabinet headed by the then chief minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed. However, the official said the plan is yet to be implemented.
“The government has failed to equip the agencies that could deal with disasters and mitigate sufferings of people during natural calamity,” the official said.
After 2014 deluge, the government had announced that dredging of river Jhelum would be completed by December 2016 to prevent floods in future.
The drudging of Jhelum was to be carried out in two phases in order to increase its carrying capacity.
However, only first phase has been completed so far. A Public Interest Litigation (PIL) has also been filed by Environmental Policy Group (EPG) in the J&K High Court demanding high level probe into Jhelum dredging project. The EPG has accused that dredging was carried out unscientifically and accused the Company of extracting sand from Jhelum and using it for the commercial purpose.
“Nothing has been done in these years, except dredging at few spots and refilling patches of Jehlum’s embankments, which were washed by 2014 floods,” the official said.
Divisional Commissioner Kashmir Baseer Ahmad Khan said deputy commissioners (DCs) have been directed to establish 24×7 flood control room in their districts.
He claimed that government took several measures to increase the carrying capacity of water bodies but said that lot was “still to be done”.
He however noted that the authorities of Irrigation and Flood Control Department would be in better position to share more details.
Chief Engineer, Irrigation and Flood Control Department, Ashok Kumar Sharma said an expert team was carrying out a survey how to prevent valley from the floods.
“Once report is submitted, we will see which projects are to be undertaking for prevention of floods,” he said.
He however said that flood threat has averted in the valley.
Defunct street lights? Don’t expect SMC to fix them
Srinagar, Jun 17: Srinagar plunges into darkness soon after sunset as most of the street lights in the capital city are defunct.
This being so since Srinagar Municipal Corporation (SMC) claims it is incapable to deal with the issue.
In absence of this basic facility, the city residents face a lot of inconvenience moving out of their homes to the markets or masjids during the evening and early morning hours.
Cases of burglary and dog-bites have been reported from many secluded areas where residents complain of either having defunct or no street lights.
People living in many of these poorly-lit areas feel scared to venture out of their homes in late hours.
“I prefer not to leave my home after Isha namaz. Dogs chase passersby since there is no street light in this colony,” said Bashir Ahmed, 60, a resident of Illahibagh.
SMC claims it has installed more than 40,000 street lights across the city. However, majority of them remain dysfunctional due to lack of an established electric division and less technical manpower in the corporation.
Executive Engineer SMC, Qazi Imtiyaz who looks after the Mechanical division, said: “We have nothing. Zero manpower to look after the technical faults of street lights. There is no electric division in our corporation.”
SMC Commissioner, Khursheed Ahmad Sanai said: “SMC lacks an established electric division as well as skilled staff to mend defunct street lights in Srinagar. But we are constantly making up to illuminate more areas through whatever little staff is available to us.”
RKFC signs top English striker
More signings to follow; Club on track to become India’s football powerhouse
Srinagar, Jun 17: J&K’s premier football club, Real Kashmir FC, has signed an experienced striker from England to play for the team in the upcoming season.
Announcing on RKFC’s official Twitter handle, the club management wrote: “RKFC is delighted to announce the signing of Kallum Higginbotham from Dunfermline Athletic, Scotland. Kallum is an experienced striker who has played at the highest level in the UK. Kallum has played for top teams such as Huddersfield Town, Kilmarnock, and Motherwell.”
Former Kilmarnock frontman, Kallum, who’s originally from Salford, England, will join the club in the third week of July, club sources told The Kashmir Monitor.
With Rangers legend David Robertson training the team, Kallum will be the second European player to play for RKFC after the coach’s son Mason.
The club finished third in the I-League last season in their first campaign in the top flight.
Terming it as an important signing, club’s co-owner, Sandeep Chattoo said: “Today’s signing of Kallum shows our intent that we mean business. We will leave no stone unturned to make RKFC a powerhouse of football not just in India but Asia. In coming days we will unveil more top signings. As a co-owner, I want to tell the fans that we will do whatever we can to play top class breathtaking football next season. RKFC is not just a football team. It’s the heartbeat of the state. For me personally it’s a project. We have just completed phase one. Lot more to follow.”
Head Coach David Robertson had a similar viewpoint on Kallum’s inclusion in the club: “Signing player of Kallum’s experience and quality is a huge statement and shows continued ambition of Real Kashmir. He will give us an extra edge upfront and can also play in various roles within the team. Our team is shaping up nicely and we are all eager and excited for the start of the new campaign.”
President J&K Football Association, Zameer Thakur congratulated the team on the signing.
“We welcome this signing and hope that RKFC will not just maintain but improve its last season’s performance in the upcoming one,” he told The Kashmir Monitor.
Overall nuclear arms decline but India, Pak, China expanding arsenal
Stockholm, Jun 17: The overall number of nuclear warheads in the world has declined in the past year but nations are modernising their arsenals, a report published Monday said.
At the start of 2019, the United States, Russia, Britain, France, China, India, Pakistan, Israel and North Korea had a total of some 13,865 nuclear weapons, according to estimates in a new report by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI).
That represents a decrease of 600 nuclear weapons compared to the start of 2018.
But at the same time all nuclear weapon-possessing countries are modernising these arms ¬– and China, India and Pakistan are also increasing the size of their arsenals.
“The world is seeing fewer but newer weapons,” Shannon Kile, director of the SIPRI Nuclear Arms Control Programme and one of the report’s authors, told AFP.
The drop in recent years can mainly be attributed to the US and Russia, whose combined arsenals still make up more than 90 percent of the world’s nuclear weapons.
This is in part due to the countries fulfilling their obligations under the New START treaty — which puts a cap on the number of deployed warheads and was signed by the US and Russia in 2010 — as well as getting rid of obsolete warheads from the Cold War era.
The START treaty is however due to expire in 2021, which Kile said was worrying since there are currently “no serious discussions underway about extending it”.
Next year the treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) — considered the cornerstone of the world’s nuclear order — turns 50.
The number of nuclear arms has been drastically reduced since a peak in the mid-1980s when there were some 70,000 nuclear warheads in the world.
While Kile said progress should not be underestimated, he also noted a number of worrying trends, such as the build-up of nuclear arms on both sides of the border between India and Pakistan, and the danger of a conventional conflict escalating to a nuclear one.
There is also a more general trend towards an “increased salience” of nuclear weapons, where changing strategic doctrines, particularly in the US, are giving nuclear weapons an expanded role in both military operations and national security dialogue, Kile said.
“I think the trend is moving away from where we were five years ago, where the world’s nuclear weapons were being marginalised,” Kile said.
Former UN chief Ban Ki-moon recently urged nuclear powers to “get serious” about disarmament and warned there was a “very real risk” that decades of work on international arms control could collapse following the US pullout of the Iran nuclear deal, which he said sent the wrong signal to North Korea.
Global disarmament efforts also suffered a blow when the United States announced in February it would withdraw from the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) treaty, prompting Russia to say it would also suspend its participation.