Connect with us

National

Over 120 killed in battle for Tripoli: WHO

Agencies

Published

🕒

on

IST

TRIPOLI: Fighting near Tripoli has killed 121 people since strongman Khalifa Haftar launched an offensive earlier this month to take the Libyan capital, the World Health Organisation said.

In clashes between Haftar’s forces and those of the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA), both sides have proclaimed “advances” but neither appears to have made substantial progress on the ground in recent days.

With more than 560 people wounded since the fighting started on April 4, the WHO said it was sending more medical supplies and staff to Tripoli. On its Twitter feed, the agency denounced “repeated attacks on healthcare workers” and vehicles during the fighting.

 

The UN’s humanitarian coordination office, OCHA, said on Saturday that three medical personnel had been killed and that shrapnel had put five ambulances out of action.

UN-backed government claims shooting down fighter jet of Haftar’s forces

The mounting violence has sparked global alarm over the oil-rich country, in turmoil since Nato-backed forces overthrew former dictator Muammar Qadhafi in 2011.

A bewildering array of militias have sought to take control since his ouster. Haftar’s offensive began shortly before a conference set for this month to discuss Libya’s future — an event the UN cancelled as his forces closed in on the capital.

Haftar, who leads the self-styled Libyan National Army (LNA), has pushed from his powerbase in the country’s east toward the Libyan capital in the west, the seat of the UN-backed unity government led by Fayez al-Sarraj.

The unity government said its forces had shot down an LNA fighter jet on Sunday “that was preparing to conduct air raids” south of Tripoli.

An LNA source said the plane had come down in an area under its control and that the pilot, who had ejected, was “safe and sound”.

That happened as the strongman met in Cairo with key backer Egyptian President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi, who pledged support for “efforts to fight terrorism and extremist militias to achieve security and stability… throughout the country”, Sisi’s office said. Haftar also has the support of key Gulf Arab states and Russia.

With gunfire echoing through city blocks and tanks rumbling through towns and districts south of Tripoli, many panicked residents have fled their homes.

More than 13,500 people have been displaced and over 900 are now living in shelters, OCHA said.

Both sides have launched daily air raids and accuse each other of targeting civilians.

One air strike the GNA blamed on Haftar’s forces hit a school in Ain Zara, south of Tripoli, which has been the scene of violent clashes for days.


Advertisement
Loading...
Comments

National

Have many good friends in Oppn, Mamata sends personally selected kurtas: PM

Agencies

Published

on

New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that he has many “good friends” in the Opposition and added that West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee sends personally-selected Kurtas and sweets to him.
“I have many good friends in the Opposition. We do eat food together once or twice a year. Long time back when I was not even the Chief Minister (of Gujarat), I had gone to Parliament for some work. There Ghulam Nabi Azad and I were having a friendly conversation. When we came out media people asked, how can you be friends with Azad as you belong to RSS. Ghulam Nabi gave a good answer. Hum dono saath khade se, bola dekho bhai bahar jo aap log sochte ho, aisa nahi h. Shayad ek family ke roop me hum log jitne jude hue hain sabhi dal ke log, wo shayad bahar kalpana nahi kar sakte (While we two were standing, he said that what you people think outside, it’s not like that. Maybe the way we the people of all the organisations are connected as a family it can’t be imagined outside),” Prime Minister Modi said in an interaction with actor Akshay Kumar.
“Mamata didi saal me aaj bhi mujhe ek-do kurte wo khud select karne jati hain (Even today Mamata didi herself selects one-two Kurtas for me in the year). She sends one-two Kurtas for me. Even Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina sends sweets to me three-four times in a year especially from Dhaka. When Mamata didi got to know this, then she also sends sweets for me one or two times in a year,” he added.
Interestingly, Mamata has mostly been critical about Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led NDA government and has openly opposed their various initiatives including Goods and Services Tax (GST) and demonetisation.
Mamata had accused Prime Minister Modi of causing hardships to the people through demonetisation and said the electorate in West Bengal will pay back by not casting a “single vote” for him.
“In the (2014) elections, Narendra Modi’s BJP party had won. But, in the last five years, the government has betrayed Bengal. He (Modi) is coming here and saying lies. He comes flying to Bengal at the time of elections and is nowhere to be seen in other times,” she said at a public rally.
Before that on April 4, Mamata Banerjee had even termed Prime Minister Modi as “Hitler’s uncle”.
A day before that she called Modi as “expiry babu” and said, “His government has expired. You (Modi) said in Siliguri that we did not do anything for the poor. What have you done in the last five years? I have never seen a Prime Minister telling these many lies. Do not speak lies every day.”
On April 3 itself, Prime Minister Modi had called Banerjee as “speedbreaker Didi”.

Continue Reading

National

By 2030 India will replace one of the top 3 superpowers: Rajnath

Agencies

Published

on

Chatra: Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh said that by the year 2030 India could replace any one of the three world superpowers (Russia, China and America).
“By 2030 or 2031 Bharat will replace any one of the three superpowers, either Russia, China or America from the list of top three countries of the world in terms of economy and strength,” said Rajnath Singh while addressing an election rally at Chatra in Jharkhand.
He said that Prime Minister Narendra Modi led government has provided an immense boost to the economy of India.
“In 2014 we were at ninth place among the top 10 countries in terms of the size of the economy. After four years of governance led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, in 2018 we jumped to the sixth position,” he said.
“And I say it with confidence that not in few years but in few months we will be at the fifth place,” said Rajnath.
The Home Minister also said that the Prime Minister had assured that every paise earmarked for the welfare of the people reaches the common man. “Rajiv Gandhi helplessly said that out of 100 Paise given by him only 16 Paise manages to reach the people but Prime Minister Narendra Modi has overcome this and now when 100 paise is sent, 100 paise reaches your pocket,” said Singh.
Rajnath Singh also gave an assurance of completely wiping out Naxalism. “Naxalism which was spread across 126 districts of the country is now restricted to only seven to eight districts. I assure you it will be entirely uprooted from India in the next three to four years,” he said.
Jharkhand has 14 Lok Sabha constituencies which will go for polls on April 29, May 6, May 12 and May 19. The counting of votes will take place on May 23.

Continue Reading

National

3-judges’ panel set-up to probe, first meet today

Agencies

Published

on

New Delhi: Justice SA Bobde, the senior-most judge of the Supreme Court, was appointed to conduct an in-house inquiry into the allegations of sexual harassment levelled against Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi.
When contacted, Justice Bobde, who is next to the CJI in seniority, confirmed the development.
He said being the number two judge, the Chief Justice of India has appointed him to look into the allegations of sexual harassment charges levelled by a former woman staff.
Justice Bobde told PTI that he has decided to form a panel by inducting two apex court judges — N V Ramana and Indira Banerjee.
“I decided to have Justice Ramana in the panel as he is next to me in the seniority and Justice Banerjee as she is a woman judge,” Justice Bobde said. He said he has already issued notice to the woman who had written letters to the judges and sworn on affidavit about the alleged sexual harassment.
The first hearing will be conducted on Friday and the apex court secretary general has also been asked to be ready with all documents and materials.
“This is going to be an in-house procedure which does not contemplate representation of advocate on behalf of parties. It is not a formal judicial proceeding,” Justice Bobde said.
He clarified that there is no time frame to to complete the inquiry and future course of action will depend on “what comes out of the inquiry” which will be “confidential”.
A three-judge bench headed by CJI on Saturday had held an unprecedented hearing in the wake of allegations made against Justice Gogoi.
Describing the allegations of sexual harassment against him as “unbelievable”, the CJI had convened the extraordinary hearing at the Supreme Court during which he said a larger conspiracy was behind it and he would not stoop so low even to deny these allegations. Justice Gogoi had said some “bigger force” wanted to “deactivate” the office of the CJI.
After the Saturday’s hearing, some lawyers body and jurists had criticised the CJI for constituting the bench comprising him, though he had recused himself in the middle of the hearing leaving it for justices Arun Mishra and Sanjiv Khanna to pass the order.

Continue Reading