Powerful journalism on tap - Download The Kashmir Monitor app.

Mourning continues in Kashmir

Srinagar, Dec 17:Kashmir observed a complete shutdown on Monday as well against the Saturday’s killings even as authorities foiled the Badami Bagh march called by Joint Hurriyat by imposing strict restrictions in parts of Srinagar.

All shops and other commercial establishments remained closed in Srinagar and elsewhere in the valley while public transport also remained off the roads.

A youth from Srinagar’s Batamaloo was injured in the clashes that intensified in old-city’s Fateh Kadal area Monday evening.

The youth, identified as Majid Shigan of Batamaloo, was wounded after he was hit with a forces’ vehicle and reportedly thrashed by them afterwards.

He was shifted to SKIMS Bemina hospital.

Many parts of Chenab Valley too were shut against the Pulwama killings.

On Saturday, seven civilians were killed and over 35 others injured after government forces fired at the protesters near the site of a gunfight that left three militants and a soldier dead in Sirnoo village of Pulwama.

Joint Hurriyat Leadership – an amalgam of leaders headed by Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Yasin Malik – had called for a three-day shutdown and a march to Badami Bagh army base in Srinagar to mourn the killings.

In a bid to foil the march, authorities had imposed curbs and had issued traffic advisory to stop people and commuters to pass through Badami Bagh road.

The road leading to Army base inBadami Bagh here was completely sealed with concertina wires and armoured vehicles stationed at key points on Srinagar-Pantha Chowk stretch.

Traffic was diverted towards the new highway while no vehicle was allowed entry into city centre through Badami Bagh.

Army had appealed people not to follow the Joint Hurriyat call.

Taking no chances, authorities beefed up the number of government forces personnel and restricted the movement of people even as the protest marches organized by JKLF in the heart of city was foiled.

Clashes erupted in Maisuma area of Srinagar city after Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chief Yasin Malik was detained as he tried to march towards Badami Bagh army base.

Malik, who had gone underground to evade arrest, was detained at Budshah Bridge after he along with scores of his followers took out a march towards Badami Bagh army base.

Soon after, Malik took out a procession from Srinagar’s Gaw Kadal area police swung into action.

“Police fired tear gas shells to foil the protest,” an eyewitness said witness, adding that Malik was taken into custody.

He said that people resorted to stone-throwing leading to clashes near Maisuma area.

Before his arrest, JKLF chairman said that Joint Hurriyat had called for the march to “tell the Army to kill us all in one go and satisfy their lust of Kashmiri blood which they have become addicted of.”

Malik accused the international community of maintaining a “criminal silence to protect its business and economic links with India.”

“We want to ask the international community that why this apathy towards human in Kashmir. Isn’t your conscience asking you any questions about this criminal silence? He said that International community needs to change its double standards,” he said

Earlier, Police raided different houses in multiple locations of Srinagar city to arrest Yasin Malik, however, they failed to nab him.

Police also detained Mirwaiz Umar Farooq when he tried to come out from his house in Nigeen.

In a statement a party spokesman quoting Mirwaiz said that it has become the routine of government forces to vandalise and blow up the houses, beat people in Kashmir in the name of CASO.

“It’s frustration of Indian forces that they have just lost war in Kashmir,” Mirwaiz said.

Adding that as Mirwaiz tried to defy his house detention and march towards Badam Bagh Army Cantonment, number of police personnel was already deployed outside his Nigeen residence and he was detained him along with his supporters and lodged in Nigeen Police Station.

Police also arrest Muslim KhawteenMarkaz chairperson Yasmeen Raja after she emerged in Press Enclave Srinagar.

Clashes also erupted in several areas of Srinagar including Barbarshah, Natipora, Mehjoor Nagar, and Padshahi Bagh where a large number of youth took to roads and pelted stones on deployed forces.