Connect with us

Latest News Archives

Masood Azhar blacklisting: China says ‘matter moving towards settlement’

Agencies

Published

🕒

on

IST

Beijing, April 17: China on Wednesday said the issue of blacklisting Masood Azhar at the UN panel was heading towards a settlement and asked the US not to force through its own resolution on the matter.

Beijing also rejected the report that the US, the UK and France asked China to lift the technical hold on Azhar by April 23, failing which they will move a formal resolution for discussion, vote and passage at the UN Security Council (UNSC).

“On the issue of the listing of Masood Azhar, China’s position remains unchanged. We are also having communication with relevant parties and the matter is moving towards the direction of settlement,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lu Kang said here.

 

“The matter is now moving in the direction of settlement. As to the specifics for the discussion in the 1267 committee, there are clear procedures and regulations regarding UNSC and its subsidiary bodies. We think members should follow and abide by such procedures.”

He was responding to a question whether anything was achieved after China claimed “positive progress” on the issue of declaring Azhar a ‘terrorist’.

China in the past has put four technical holds on the resolutions by India, the US, the UK and France to ban Azhar at the UN 1267 sanctions committee.

Beijing’s latest technical hold came last month after Azhar’s outfit claimed responsibility for the deadly attack in Jammu and Kashmir that killed 40 Indian military personnel in February.

This prompted the US to draft a new resolution and take it directly to the Security Council for an informal discussion. Beijing slammed the move, saying this will complicate matters when some progress has already been achieved.

Lu again reiterated it when asked if China will support such a resolution in the Security Council.

“Regarding what you said relevant parties are forcing a new resolution through the Security Council. We firmly oppose that. In relevant discussions, most members expressed that this issue should be discussed within the 1267 committee and they don’t hope to bypass the 1267 committee to handle the issue.


“We hope the relevant country can respect the opinions of most members of the Security Council to act in a cooperative manner and to help resolve this issue properly within the framework of the 1267 committee,” he added.

Asked if Beijing has been set a deadline of April 23 to lift the technical hold on resolution banning Azhar at the 1267 committee, Lu said: “I don’t know from where you get such information, but the Security Council and it’s subsidiary bodies like the 1267 committee, they have clear rules of procedures and you have to seek clarification from those sources.”

“China’s position is very clear. This issue should be resolved through cooperation and we don’t believe that any efforts without the consensus of most members will achieve satisfying results.”(IANS)


Advertisement
Loading...
Comments

Latest News Archives

ACB officers to undergo training at CBI Academy

Monitor News Bureau

Published

on

Srinagar, Jul 18: The Governor-led administration Thursday accorded sanction to the deputation of 20 officers and officials of the State’s Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) for undergoing 10 days training programme at CBI Academy in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh.

The training programme, as per an official order, is scheduled to be held from July 22 to August 02, 2019.

The officers deputed for the training include SP Sandeep Gupta, SSP Dalip Kumar, SP Mushtaq Ahmad Choudhary, DySPs Zoheb Tanveer, Ramiz Rashid Bhat, Hamid Ali Banday, Sheikh Mudasir Ahmad Farooqui, Sajad Ahmad Sheikh, Masood Ahmad Beigh, Pardeep Singh, and Ayaz Ahmad Sheikh.

 

Other officials and officers of the ACB in the list are: Sr PO Fayaz Ahmad, Inspectors Rameshwar Dutt Sharma, Shrikant Parihar, Raj Kumar Dhar, Mohammad Arif, Rakesh Kumar, Farooq Ahmad Khanday, Sajid Ali, and Mohammad Rouf Bazaz.

Continue Reading

Latest News Archives

Hafiz Saeed sent to 7-day judicial custody

Agencies

Published

on

Islamabad: Jamaat ud-Dawa (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed on Wednesday was sent to seven-day judicial custody following his arrest on “terror financing charges”.

Speaking to ARY News, spokesperson of the Chief Minister of Pakistan’s Punjab province Shahbaz Gill said that Hafiz’s arrest was made under the ongoing National Action Plan (NAP).

The spokesperson refused to share any further details in this regard.
Saeed was arrested while he was on his way to an anti-terrorism court (ATC) in Gujranwala to seek bail.

 

The development has come just two days after an anti-terrorism court in Lahore had granted interim bail to Saeed and three of his aides until August 31 against surety bonds of PKR 50,000 each.

On July 3, the top 13 leaders of the banned JuD, including Saeed and Naib Emir Abdul Rehman Makki, were booked in nearly two dozen cases for terror financing and money laundering under the Anti-Terrorism Act, 1997.

The CTD, which registered the cases in five cities of Punjab, had stated that JuD was involved in terror funding collected through charitable organisations including Al-Anfaal Trust, Dawatul Irshad Trust, and Muaz Bin Jabal Trust.

In February, Paris-based Financial Action Task Force (FATF) had warned Pakistan to deliver on its commitment to curb terror financing and money laundering.

Pakistan may be blacklisted by the watchdog as it is already on the “grey list” of countries who have been inadequate in curbing money laundering and terror financing.

In the wake of previous warnings by the FATF, Pakistan had re-instated a ban on two terror outfits linked to Saeed, namely, JuD and the Falah-e-Insaniat Foundation in February.

Continue Reading

Latest News Archives

Soldier hit by falling tree in Kupwara, dies

Press Trust of India

Published

on

Srinagar, Jul 18: A 35-year-old soldier died after a tree fell on him due to a landslide while he was patrolling along the Line of Control (LoC) in Kupwara district of Jammu and Kashmir, the Army said Thursday.
The incident took place when the soldier, Naik Ramandeep Singh, was leading an operational team for patrolling along the LoC in Tangdhar sector on Tuesday, it said.

Singh was critically injured in the incident and rushed to 168 Military Hospital in Tangdhar for medical treatment but succumbed, Srinagar-based 15 Corps of the Army said in a handout.

A solemn ceremony was held Thursday at the Badamibagh Cantonment of the Army for paying tributes to Singh.

 

Lt Gen KJS Dhillon, Corps Commander, and all ranks paid homage to Singh on behalf of a proud nation. In a show of solidarity, representatives from other security agencies also paid their last respects to him, the handout said.

Naik Singh had joined the Army in 2002. He belonged to Village Tibba of Dhuri Tehsil in Sangrur district of Punjab and is survived by wife, a son and a daughter.

“The mortal remains of the martyr were flown for last rites to his native place, where he would be laid to rest with full military honours. In this hour of grief, the Army stands in solidarity with the bereaved family and remains committed to their dignity and well being,” the Army said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor and receive notifications of new stories by email.

Join 1,010,984 other subscribers

Advertisement

Archives

July 2019
M T W T F S S
« Jun    
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
Advertisement