In a region mired in conflict, it takes all the more courage, and perseverance to be the voice of the voiceless and to separate facts from propaganda. Help The Kashmir Monitor sustain so that we continue to be editorially independent. Remember, your contributions, however small they may be, matter to us.

LeT district commander killed in Pulwama gunfight

Srinagar, Feb 6: A militant commander of Lashkar-e-Taiba was killed in a brief gunfight at Chakoora area of Litter in south Kashmir’s Pulwama district on Wednesday.

A joint team of army, CRPF and SOG cordoned off the Chakoora area of Litter.


Soon, the joint team of forces fired several gunshots amid the cordon, leading to an encounter, they said.

In the brief exchange of firing, one militant was killed and a body was recovered from the encounter site along with a weapon, they said.

Sources said that one more militant has escaped from the site.

The slain was identified as Irfan Ahmad Sheikh of Chakoora village. Irfan was LeT commander for Pulwama and was active since last years.

A senior police officer said the gunfight broke out between militants and government forces in the area and that one militant was killed.

He said the area is still under cordon to trace out the remaining hiding militants.

He said the cordon-and-search operation was launched in the village following specific information about the presence of some militants.

Following the encounter, youth took to streets and pelted stones on forces. The police and paramilitary CRPF lobbed tear smoke shells and pellets to disperse them.

Meanwhile, in wake of the gunfight, authorities have suspended internet services in the southern district. (GNS)


CRPF trooper injured in Kulgam grenade blast

Srinagar, Feb 6: A paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) trooper was injured after suspected militants lobbed a grenade at the force camp in Laroo area of south Kashmir’s Kulgam district on Wednesday.

Reports said that some militants hurled a grenade on CRPF camp of 18 Battalion at Laroo area resulting in injuries to one paramilitary trooper.

The injured was taken to nearby hospital for treatment, they said.

A police officer also confirmed the attack and said that one CRPF man suffered splinter injuries.

Following the blast, the government forces launched a hunt to nab the attackers.

Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) has claimed the responsibility of the attack.

A JeM spokesperson Mohammad Hassan in a statement issued said the grenade went off inside the CRPF’s 18 bn camp.

He said several forces personnel were wounded in the attack that was part of the ‘Operation Noor Mohammad Trali’. (GNS)


Pulwama boy wounded in accidental grenade blast last week succumbs

Srinagar, Feb 6 : A 13-year-old boy who along with his coetaneous friend suffered injuries when a grenade they were toying with went off in Pulwama district of South Kashmir five days back succumbed to his injuries at SKIMS here on Wednesday.

Family sources told Junaid Bilal, one of the two boys injured in the blast, succumbed to his injuries at the only tertiary care hospital here today.
Junaid Bilal and Sharafat Bashir, also 13, were injured while fiddling with the explosive device when it went off near Rohama in the south Kashmir district. Both were shifted to PHC Rohama from where they were shifted to district hospital Pulwama and later Junaid was referred to SKIMS.

According to reports, boys had apparently found the grenade from the scene of an encounter at Drabgam, nearly five kilometers from spot where the explosive went off. Two militants of Jash-e-Mohammad outfit were killed in the gun battle with government forces on Friday last. However, police has maintained that it was still investigating the case and it was not known as to from where the explosive was brought by the minors.(GNS)