Rio de Janeiro: Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) forward Neymar has said he will be back playing “in a bit more than a month” as he recovers from foot surgery.
The 26-year-old Brazilian has been sidelined since late February, when he cracked the fifth metatarsal in his right foot. He underwent surgery on March 3 in the Brazilian city of Belo Horizonte.
Brazil’s national team doctor Rodrigo Lasmar said at the time of the operation that Neymar’s recovery could take up to three months. That prognosis appeared to cast doubt over whether Neymar would be fit in time for the World Cup in Russia, which begins on June 14.
But the former Santos prodigy indicated on Friday he could be available for Paris Saint-German’s final matches of the season in May, Xinhua news agency reported.
“There is still a month to go, a bit more than a month,” Neymar told TV Globo. “I’m progressing well and consolidating well.”
PSG manager Unai Emery said earlier on Friday that Neymar was “close to returning”.
“His recent medical test went well and everything looks fine. He has progressed normally — he is close,” the Spaniard told a news conference.