New Delhi: Reacting angrily to a submission from the Geneva-based Human Rights Council (HRC) on the alleged violations in Jammu and Kashmir, India has informed the United Nations body that it will no longer entertain any communication with the HRC’s Special Rapporteurs on its report.
The report from the UN body came at the same time a report from two NGOs in the State on the alleged cases of torture was released in Srinagar, which was endorsed by a former UN Special Rapporteur.
The current Special Rapporteurs on Extrajudicial Executions, Torture, and Right to Health — Agnes Callamard, Dainius Puras and Nils Melzer — had referred to a June 2018 report of the Office of the High Commissioner of Human Rights (OHCHR) and written to the government in March 2019, asking about steps taken by New Delhi to address the alleged human rights violations listed in the report.
In addition, the Special Rapporteurs had listed “13 cases of concern” from 2018 alone, in which “four children were among eight civilians killed by members of the security forces.”
Rejecting all the claims, the Indian Permanent Mission to the United Nations in Geneva replied to the OHCHR on April 23, saying that “India… does not intend to engage further with these mandate-holders or any other mandate-holders on the issue,” whom it accused of “individual prejudice”.
India had also rejected the OHCHR’s report on the ‘Situation of Human Rights in Kashmir’ — the first-ever such report on Jammu and Kashmir that came out in June 2018 — and accused the High Commissioner of Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein of “clear bias” in bringing it out.
When asked, the Ministry of External Affairs clarified that India’s stand on not engaging with the Special Rapporteurs was only for those wishing to refer to the OHCHR report.
However, UN officials say that India is already in contravention of several Conventions it has committed to, including a “Standing Invitation” signed in 2011 to all special rapporteurs to visit India. According to the UN records, more than 20 such visit requests, including to Jammu and Kashmir, are pending at present. UN sources also said that between 2016-2018, the OHCHR Special Rapporteurs had sent as many as 58 communications, and had received no response other than the April 23 letter on Jammu and Kashmir.
“The only response so far has been to the communication relating to Jammu and Kashmir….The last visit was by the Special Rapporteur on water and sanitation, in October-November 2017,” a UN communications official said in reply to queries from The Hindu.
The UN submission on Jammu and Kashmir coincided with the release of an extensive 560-page report on Monday, prepared by the J&K based Association of Parents of Disappeared Persons (APDP) and the J&K Coalition of Civil Society (JKCCS). The report, entitled ‘Torture: Indian State’s Instrument of Control in J&K’, documented 432 cases of suspected human rights violations and brutality by security forces of which only 27 had been investigated by the State Human Rights Commission.
Anantnag attack: Injured SHO succumbs at AIIMS
Srinagar, June 16: Station House Officer (SHO) Arshid Ahmad Khan who was injured in Fidayeen Attack on June 13 succumbed to his injuries today at AIIMS Delhi.
Arshid was airlifted to AIIMS hospital in Delhi today from SKIMS. On Saturday morning the SHO was shifted to SKIMS from army’s 92 base hospital Badamibagh where he was admitted on June 13.
A police officer told news agency that SHO succumbed to injuries in AIIMS hospital this evening.
SHO along with three paramilitary CRPF men were injured in Fidayeen Attack near KP road in Anantnag on June 13. Five CRPF troopers including two officers of ASI rank were killed also killed in the attack. One of the militants was later gunned down by the joint team of forces. A teenage girl was also injured during the incident. (GNS)
J&K on high alert after Pakistan warns India of Pulwama-type attack
Srinagar, June 16: Security forces in Jammu and Kashmir are on high alert after Pakistan reportedly warned India of a Pulwama-type attack.
Pakistan shared intelligence inputs with India and the US regarding the threat of a possible attack in Pulwama district, The Indian Express reported. According to the intelligence inputs, militants may carry out an attack using an improvised explosive device (IED) mounted on a vehicle to avenge the killing of Zakir Musa. The Jammu and Kashmir Police is on its toes after the alert.
“The Pakistanis shared this information regarding the possibility of such an attack with our High Commission in Islamabad. They had also shared this information with the Americans, who too, informed us. So this information has come directly as well as via the Americans to us. The attack, the Pakistanis say, is being ostensibly planned to avenge the killing of Zakir Musa,” a top security official was quoted as saying.
Zakir Musa, the head of the Ansar Ghazwat-ul-Hind, a group affiliated with the Al-Qaeda, was killed by security forces in an encounter at Tral in May. He launched his Ansar Ghazwat-ul-Hind after breaking away from the Hizbul Mujahideen in May 2017. Pakistan PM Imran Khan Makes Veiled Attack on India Over Kashmir During Address in SCO Summit 2019.
“We are reading Pakistan’s sharing of this information in two ways. It is either a way to make sure that they avoid blame if a big attack takes place, because they have already shared the information with the Americans. Or it is a genuine attempt to inform us ahead after they found out, particularly because the information is regarding a plan to attack by members of an al-Qaeda linked group. We also understand that any activities of militants linked to al-Qaeda are seen differently by them (Pakistan),” the official said.
Tendulkar sues Australian cricket bat maker over $2 million in royalties
Sydney: Sachin Tendulkar has filed a civil lawsuit against an Australian bat manufacturer, accusing it of using his name and image to promote products and then failing to pay him $2 million in royalties.
In Federal Court papers filed this month and reviewed by Reuters, Tendulkar said Sydney-based Spartan Sports International agreed in 2016 to pay him at least $1 million a year to use his image, logo and promotional services to sell “Sachin by Spartan” sporting goods and clothing.
The retired star batsman soon went to work promoting the products, and appeared at a range of promotional events in places such as London and the Indian financial hub of Mumbai, the documents showed.
However, by September 2018, Spartan had failed to make a single payment owed, Tendulkar said, and he made a formal request for payment. When none came, he ended the agreement, asking the company to stop using his name and likeness.
Yet Spartan continued to do so, according to the documents.
Spartan, whose legal representative was not listed on the Federal Court website, did not respond to an email request from Reuters for comment.
Les Galbraith, listed by the court documents as its chief operating officer, did not respond to a private message sent to his LinkedIn page.
The law firm listed as representing Tendulkar, Gilbert + Tobin, declined comment.
Tendulkar’s civil claim accused the Australian company of misleading or deceptive conduct, “passing off”, or suggesting an official endorsement when none existed, and breach of contract. It did not say what damages were sought.
Tendulkar became the world’s leading run-scorer in tests and one-day internationals, with more than 34,000 runs and 100 centuries, in a 24-year career that ended in 2013.
In 2012, he was made an honorary member of the Order of Australia, one of the country’s highest civil awards.
The court website showed the lawsuit was filed on June 5, with the first court date in Sydney on June 26. Reuters
Two militants killed in Achabal gunfight
Srinagar:Two militants were killed on Monday in a gunfight with the security forces in Jammu and Kashmir’s Anantnag district, police...
Forget about numbers, every word you say is valuable to us: PM to opposition
New Delhi:At the start of the first budget session of NDA 2, Prime Minister Narendra Modi struck a conciliatory note...
Israel moves to name Golan settlement after Trump
RAMAT: The Trump name graces apartment towers, hotels and golf courses. Now it is the namesake of a tiny Israeli...
Army officer among 3 soldiers injured in ongoing Achabal gunfight
SRINAGAR — Three soldiers including an army officer were injured in an ongoing encounter with militants at Bidoora village in...
VIDEO| 2 houseboats go up on flames in Nigeen Lake
Srinagar, Jun 17: In yet another tragic incident of its kind, two more houseboats went up in flames at Nigeen...
Gunfight starts in south Kashmir’s Achabal
Anantnag, June 17 : A gunfight has started between militants and government forces in Badoora village of Achabal belt of South...