London : A century on debut and tidy performance behind the stumps has ensured that Ben Foakes will retain the wicketkeeper’s position for the second Test against Sri Lanka, captain Joe Root has said.
With Jonny Bairstow nursing an ankle injury, Foakes stepped into the role in the first Test and seized his opportunity with a man-of-the-match performance, scoring 107 in his debut innings.
England won the match at Galle by 211 runs, with Foakes’s first innings knock crucial after they had slumped to 103 for five on the first day.
The wicketkeeper was last man out, having combined with the lower middle order and bowlers for an additional 239 runs.
“Ben is going to keep,” Root said in comments published by The Independent ahead of the second Test in Pallekele starting on Wednesday.
“We’ve come to Sri Lanka to win this tour. And in these conditions, I think Ben is the best option behind the stumps.
“It’s a great opportunity for Ben to show his ability and I think you’ve got to reward a performance like last week.”
Bairstow has returned to training but Root did not say whether he would have been available. British media have reported that he did not take part in any activities that could have aggravated the ankle injury.
Root said his Yorkshire teammate Bairstow, who has strengthened England’s lower-middle order with his batting and worked hard on his wicket-keeping, still had a role to play in the Test side.
“Jonny is a fine keeper and what he’s done over the last couple of years has been exceptional,” Root added.
“He’s pretty much been faultless, not really stood out at all, which is probably a good thing for a wicket-keeper, and long-term I see him as a focal part of the Test team.”
Fellow wicket-keeper Jos Buttler is likely to move up the order to bat at number three after Moeen Ali failed to take his opportunity in Galle, being dismissed for a golden duck in the first innings and scoring just three in the second.
“I’ll bat where is required,” the free-scoring Buttler told British media about a potential elevation to the top order.
“In this part of the world it doesn’t matter too much.
“The style of cricket required is very similar wherever you bat with a 90 percent chance of starting your innings against spin.
“Potentially number three could be the best time to bat.”
I am the greatest player in the world: Gayle after announcing retirement
Dubai: West Indies swashbuckling batsman Chris Gayle, who recently announced that he would bid adieu to one-day internationals after the International Cricket Council (ICC) World Cup 2019 in England and Wales, has described himself as the “greatest player in the world”.
When quizzed if he is satisfied with his career, the 29-year-old said that he is a great man and that he would take the tag of the “Universe Boss” to his grave.
“You’re looking at a great man.I’m the greatest player in the world. Of course I’m still the Universe Boss. That will never change. I’ll take that to the grave,” ESPNcricinfo quoted Gayle as saying.
Looking forward to a fairy-tale swansong by winning the May 30 to July 14 showpiece event, the 39-year-old said that it is time to give opportunities to youngsters to come forward and show their talent.
“Yes, I’m looking to draw the line after the World Cup. Or should I say cut the string? Definitely, in 50-over cricket, the World Cup is the end for me. I’ll let the youngsters have some fun and I can sit back in the party stand and watch them have some fun,” Gayle said.
“Winning the World Cup would be a fairy-tale finish. The youngsters owe it to me to win. They have to do that for me and try and get me the trophy. I’ll be looking to put my input in as well,” he added.
However, it will not be an end of the international career for Gayle as he has not ruled out playing for West Indies in the ICC World T20 in Australia in late 2020, when he will be 41-year-old.
While stressing that his body is feeling good at the moment, Gayle further hoped to feature in England and Wales Cricket Board’s (ECB) inaugural 100-ball competition in 2020.
“If I don’t start it, it won’t be a tournament. I guess England should invite me over. Then I’ll explode the tournament and say ‘thank you guys; bring in a youngster now.’ I’ll set the trend like I did in all tournaments around the world,” the Caribbean star said.
“I’m in good condition. The body is feeling good and I’m pleased with that. I’ve lost a bit of weight and I don’t want to get too big. I’m still working on my six pack. I’m trying to keep up with the youngsters in the field who are like cats the way they chase the ball. I still have it in me and I’m still enjoying it,”he continued.
Gayle, who made his debut in 1999 during an ODI series against Bangladesh, has appeared in a total of 284 matches in the 50-over format and scored 9,727 runs, including 29 centuries and 49 fifties. He also notched 1,607 runs in 56 T20Is and 7,215 runs in 103 Tests he played for West Indies.
Meanwhile, the Caribbean batsman is just 273 runs short of becoming the 14th man and second West Indies player to smash 10,000 ODI runs.
The part-time off-spinner, who has a total of 255 scalps to his name in the three formats, will look to reach the 10,000-run mark when he will lock horns with England in the five-match ODI series beginning February 20 in Barbados.
Covering of Imran Khan Pictures in India ‘Regrettable’, Says PCB
Islamabad:The Pakistan Cricket Board has said it will take up with the BCCI the “regrettable” removal of pictures of its former players at venues in India after the Pulwama attack.
PCB’s Managing Director Wasim Khan, in a statement issued , 17 February, said the issue will be raised during an ICC meeting scheduled to held in Dubai next month.
This comes after the Cricket Club of India in Mumbai covered a portrait of former Pakistan captain and present prime minister Imran Khan, as a sign of protesting against the ghastly attack , 14 February, which claimed the lives of 40 CRPF jawans.
“… covering or removing portrait of former Pakistan cricket captain and Prime Minister Imran Khan and other legendary cricketers from one of the most historic cricket clubs and venues are highly regrettable actions.”
In addition to CCI’s move, the Punjab Cricket Association too removed photographs of Pakistani cricketers from various points inside the PCA Stadium in Mohali.
Elsewhere, IMG Reliance announced its withdrawal as the official production partner for the Pakistan Super League to protest against the Pulwama attack.
“… we have always believed and emphasised that sports and politics should be kept separate. History tells us that sports, particularly cricket, have always played a key role in building bridges between people and countries.”
Reacting to IMG Reliance’s pull-out as broadcasters of PSL 2019, Wasim said: “We have been informed by IMG Reliance that they will be unable to partner with us for the remaining PSL 2019 and PCB has reserved all its rights. The PCB always had a contingency plan in place.”
Messi the only player in the world who can win a game on his own : Anderson
London: Former Barcelona striker Sonny Anderson says Lionel Messi can win any game on his own, but he understands why coach Ernesto Valverde has left him out of his team this season.
The Spanish champions are preparing to face another of Anderson’s former sides Lyon in the Champions League.
Messi has been left out of Valverde’s team on a number of occasions this term, most significantly for the Copa del Rey semi-final draw against Real Madrid earlier in February.
And ahead of Champions League last-16 first leg, Anderson was sympathetic with Valverde’s need to rotate his star man in order to get the best out of him.
In an exclusive interview with Goal, the Brazilian said: “Messi is one hundred per cent capable of winning any game on his own and at any moment he wants, and that is why he [Valverde] takes care of him at Barcelona.
“He wants him to be at his best. Barcelona will suffer a lot when he is not there, so I see very well that they take care of him.
“I fully understand that he was not in the starting line against Real Madrid, and that the team has the quality to play some games without Messi.
“But as a rule he [Valverde] has to try to get the most out of him because he is the only player in the world capable of deciding a game on his own.”
Barca go into the tie against the Ligue 1 outfit as favourites to progress, but to do so they will have to find a way past a team that has already got the better of Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain this season.
Lyon edged through to the last-16 after finishing second behind City in the group stage, and needed a hard-fought draw against Shakhtar Donetsk on the final matchday to ensure progression.
“The Lyon game is more difficult than it seems,” said Anderson. “Already against Manchester City and PSG, they have made good duels this season. It is a team that usually improves when playing against the strongest in Europe.
“I think with or without Messi, it will be very difficult for them. Lyon can get a good result at home but at Camp Nou it will be very difficult for them to do what Messi does.”
Were under pressure to say won’t admit Kashmiri students from next session: Dehradun colleges
Dehradun, Feb 19: Clarifying on their statements of not granting admission to students from Kashmir, two city-based colleges Tuesday said...
Bengaluru FC offer to play friendly in Srinagar, Real Kashmir invite them in March
New Delhi: Indian Super League (ISL) outfit Bengaluru FC on Tuesday offered to play an exhibition match against Real Kashmir...
Boycott Kashmiri products, stop going to Amarnath : Meghalaya Governor
New Delhi :The governor of the north eastern state of India Meghalaya, Tathagata Roy, has appealed the people of India...
Major reshuffle in administration: Shahid Iqbal is new DC Srinagar, Younis Malik as Directorate of School Education, Kashmir
The governer administration on Tuesday ordered a massive reshuffle in civil administration. Shahid Iqbal Choudhary was posted as new DC...
We want stability, don’t benefit from attacking India: Imran Khan
Islamabad: Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan Tuesday said that Islamabad was open to any investigation into the February 14 Pulwama...
Pinglean encounter: Governor lauds security forces
Jammu February 19: Governor Satya Pal Malik has lauded the army, police and paramilitary forces in neutralizing militants in an...
Pakistan’s ISI involved in Pulwama attack, says Army
Srinagar: The Army on Tuesday said that within 100 hours of the February 14 Pulwama attack on a CRPF convoy...
Surrender or get killed: Army warns militants
Srinagar: Army on Tuesday warned the local militants to “surrender to be ready to get killed”. Addressing a joint press...
Pakistan seeks UN help to de-escalate fresh tensions with India over Pulwama attack
Islamabad: Pakistan has sought the urgent intervention of the United Nations to “defuse tensions” with India, the Foreign Office said...
Curfew continues in Jammu for 5th day
Jammu: A curfew imposed in Jammu since February 15, continued on Tuesday for the fifth consecutive day, police said. “The...