Connect with us


Dal Musical fountain which drew crowds shut for now

Bisma Bhat





Srinagar, Apr 15: Just three days after its inaugural, the musical fountain on Dal Lake has been shut down due to security reasons even as the authorities claim they did so for the “safety” of the visitors and technical upgradation of the equipment.

The musical fountain and laser show was setoff in the back lawns of the Sher-i-Kashmir International Conference Centre (SKICC) on April 10. The show was to go on for 15 minutes duration every day and the entry was kept free for the first 15 days.

It garnered a lot of attention as visitors thronged the show.


However, the J&K Tourism Department and SKICC announced no show from Monday (April 15) to April 18.

The reason for halting it, authorities claimed, was “important technical upgradation”.

Sources however told The Kashmir Monitor said that the sudden halt was due to the “security reasons” in view of the Parliamentary polls for Srinagar constituency scheduled on April 18.   

Director SKICC, Javaid Bakhshi claimed that they had not expecting a huge rush of visitors and were not ready to meet with the safety challenges huge, unmanaged crowds throw.

“We started it on trial basis and had no proper management for the crowd. Youth were crazy to click selfies and video of the fountain along the banks of the Dal. To avoid any troublesome incident, we decided to stop it for now till we will make proper arrangement for the show,” claimed Bakhshi.

He added that the show will be again thrown open for the general public as well as tourists within a week and e-tenders for the tickets will also be issued.

“The tickets are available at affordable price. Rs 50 for the adults, Rs 40 for tourists, Rs 25 for students, while for the speciallyabled people it has been kept free of cost,” Bakhshi informed.

The first-of-its-kind in Kashmir, the musical fountain has come up at a cost of Rs 8 crores under the Prime Minister’s Developmental Programme (PMDP) scheme including 1.9 crore for additional components for seating infrastructure.

 “The work on the fountain was started in March 2017 and was completed in August 2017. However, liability time of the fountain is one year so it was started in 2018,” said the Director.



Yasin Malik’s detention: SHRC issues notice to CS, Home Sec, DGP




Srinagar, April 24: State Human Rights commission on Wednesday issued to notice Chief Secretary J&K, Commissioner Secretary Home department and DGP police asking to submit the detailed compliance report regarding detention and shifting of Muhammad Yasin Malik to NIA custody.

According to the KNO correspondent the petitioner, Ahsan Untoo, had pleaded before the SHRC that Malik is a political worker and was detained under Public Safety Act and later handed over to National Investigation Agency, calling it ‘illegal’. The notice to government officials was issued by State Human Rights commission chairperson Rtd justice Bilal Nazki.

“The authorities illegally allowed the police authorities to change the custody which is otherwise illegal in nature and handed over custody to NIA,” Untoo had pleaded before the commission. It was reported health conditions got deteriorated with unknown reasons and the family members; friends were not allowed to interact or to get the health information of Malik.


Untoo in his petitions said that when Malik’s lawyer met him on April 20, at RML Hospital, he was not able to have a conversation with the lawyer as he was ruthlessly beaten by the NIA authorities, he was rushed to the RML hospital in a very critical condition and since then no one has been allowed to interact with Malik.

“It creates apprehensions in the mind of family members and the general public of the valley that he might have been assassinated by the authorities and in this regard no communication has been made by the concerned authorities regarding the same,” he said in his petition.

Untoo had also pleaded before SHRC that a team be constituted who will receive a firsthand information regarding the wellbeing of Malik, and he be brought before the media so as the apprehensions regarding the assassination of Malik are put to rest.(KNO)

Continue Reading


Vehicle carrying perishable food items be exempted from NH ban: Faesal




Srinagar, Apr 24: Calling upon the government to at least , exempt vehicles carrying perishable items, vegetables, fruits, poultry and livestock from National Highway Traffic ban, President J&K Peoples Movement, Dr. Shah Faesal Wednesday said that the ban is harming small traders the most.

In a statement issued, Dr. Faesal said that restrictions on the movement of vehicles carrying perishable items has put traders to huge loss adding that administration seems to be in deep slumber to pay heed to the pleas of affected people.

“I got a call last night that a vehicle carrying livestock has been stuck on the highway for last two days. There is shortage of fodder and the animals are about to die due to hunger”, Shah Faesal added.


He said that not only human beings but even animals are also suffering due to the highway ban. He has forcibly demanded to revoke the draconian measure immediately.

He said ban on movement of civilian traffic on the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway is totally undemocratic and anti-people which is causing huge inconvenience to all sections of the society including small and marginal traders.

Continue Reading


Rawalpora youth’s death: CCTV shows Umar falling down on a roadside: Police

Syed Nashir Ali Gillani



Srinagar, Apr 24: Police on Wednesday said that questioning was on to ascertain the facts behind the mysterious death of a youth, Umar Bhat of Rawalpora’s Astanpora area.

Umar in his late 20s was found dead on Sunday after he left his home in the morning to attend a function at Tagore hall.

Station House Officer (SHO), Shergari Police station, Aftab Ahmad told The Kashmir Monitor that they were waiting for the postmortem report.


He said the CCTV footage available with the Police shows Umar falling on the road near Oxford school, Wanabal.

“It appears that he was under the influence of drugs, it is only an assumption. Only after postmortem report, we would be able to speak on the cause of death,” Aftab maintained.

He said they have recorded the statements of around 4-5 persons in connection with the case.

“His friends, including the one who accompanied him to Star Hospital (in Sanat Nagar), where he was initially brought for treatment, are being questioned,” he said.

Continue Reading