Connect with us

International

Calls for harassment of Trump supporters unacceptable: Sarah Sanders

Avatar

Published

🕒

on

IST

Washington: Days after she was asked by a Virginia restaurant to leave, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Tuesday decried calls for harassment and push for any supporter of US President Donald Trump to avoid the public, saying such a move was ‘unacceptable’.
White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders was kicked out of The Red Hen restaurant in Lexington, Virginia on Friday for working for Trump.
“Healthy debate on ideas and political philosophy is important, but the calls for harassment and push for any Trump supporter to avoid the public is unacceptable. America is a great country and our ability to find solutions despite those disagreements is what makes us unique,” Sanders told reporters at her daily news conference.
She said over the weekend, she was asked to leave a restaurant where she went to have dinner with her family. “My husband and I politely left and went home. I was asked to leave because I worked for President Trump,” she told reporters.
“We’re allowed to disagree, but we should be able to do so freely and without fear of harm. And this goes for all people, regardless of politics. Some have chosen to push hate and vandalism against the restaurant that I was asked to leave from,” Sanders said.
“A Hollywood actor publicly encouraged people to kidnap my children, and this weekend a member of Congress called for people to push back and make clear to those serving their country and this administration that they are not welcome anywhere, anytime for anything,” the White House Press Secretary said.
The restaurant’s co-owner Stephanie Wilkinson told ‘The Washington Post’ that her reasons to kick Sanders out included the concerns of employees who were gay and knew she had defended Trump’s desire to bar transgender people from the military. Wilkinson said she believed Sanders works in an “inhumane and unethical” administration.
Earlier in the day, Trump said the restaurant instead should focus more on cleaning its filthy canopies and windows.
“The Red Hen Restaurant should focus more on cleaning its filthy canopies, doors and windows (badly needs a paint job) rather than refusing to serve a fine person like Sarah Huckabee Sanders,” he said. “I always had a rule, if a restaurant is dirty on the outside, it is dirty on the inside!” the president said in a tweet.
Meanwhile Democratic Congresswoman Maxine Waters called for protesters to confront Cabinet members publicly to shame them over the Trump administration’s policies. Trump slammed the Democratic lawmaker in a tweet.
“Congresswoman Maxine Waters, an extraordinarily low IQ person, has become, together with Nancy Pelosi, the Face of the Democrat Party. She has just called for harm to supporters, of which there are many, of the Make America Great Again movement. Be careful what you wish for Max!” Trump said in a tweet.


Advertisement
Loading...
Comments

International

Threats to US would mean Iran’s end, warns Trump

Agencies

Published

on

Washington: US President Donald Trump has asked Iran “never to threaten” the US and warned Tehran that if it wants a fight, it would be “the official end” of the Islamic nation.

“If Iran wants to fight, that will be the official end of Iran,” Trump tweeted.

His tweets appeared to be a considerable shift in tone from the President’s brief remarks at the White House on May 16, when he responded “I hope not” after being asked whether the US and Iran were headed toward war, The Washington Post reported.

 

The White House has not officially responded to Trump’s tweets.

Trump issued his threat a few hours after the commander of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards, Hossein Salami, said on Sunday that Iran does not fear a war but the US does, reports Efe news.

Salami said in a speech at a military ceremony broadcast on state-run Iranian TV that Tehran was not seeking war but did not fear it either, in contrast to the US, which is afraid of war and does not have the willpower to engage in one.

He also warned that the entire Middle East could become “a powder keg” for Washington.

Last week, the US decided to deploy to the Persian Gulf the amphibious assault ship USS Arlington, Patriot missiles, the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln and assorted warplanes, including bombers, after claiming that it had detected unspecified “indications” of Iranian plans to attack US forces in the Middle East.

In recent weeks, concern has been increasing that National Security Adviser John Bolton, a long-time hawk on Iran who was instrumental in instigating the invasion of Iraq under George W. Bush, might be working to edge the administration closer to some kind of military action against Tehran.

Last year, prior to bringing Bolton into the administration as one of his top advisers, Trump withdrew the US from the Iran nuclear deal. More recently, Trump has tightened economic sanctions against the Tehran regime and his administration says it has built up the US military presence in the region.

Continue Reading

International

White House unveils 1st part of Middle East peace plan

Agencies

Published

on

Washington: The White House has unveiled the first part of its Middle East peace proposal, which is being deemed as an economic “workshop” to encourage investing capital in the West Bank, Gaza, and the region, a senior administration official told CNN.

The White House announced on Sunday that the workshop will take place in Manama, Bahrain, on June 25 and 26, bringing together finance ministers with global and regional business leaders.

The effort is being headed by Jared Kushner, the senior White House adviser and President Donald Trump’s son-in-law, and White House Middle East envoy Jason Greenblatt, who have spent years developing the proposal along with the much stickier political component, which officials said would be announced later in the year.

 

Kushner told CNN that “people are letting their grandfathers’ conflict destroy their children’s futures. This will present an exciting, realistic and viable pathway forward that does not currently exist”.

The senior administration official said that the plan will discuss four major components: infrastructure; industry; empowering and investing in people; and governance reforms “to make the area as investible as possible”.

The economic plan will also include a “combination of grant money, low interest loans and then also private capital”, the official said.

The workshop however, will avoid political issues such as whether the Palestinians will get their own state; the status of Jerusalem; measures Israel takes in the name of security; and what should happen with Palestinians and their descendants who fled or were expelled from Israel around the time of the state’s creation in 1948, he added.

Finance ministers, but not foreign ministers, will be invited along with delegations of business leaders.

However, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas’ spokesman, Nabil Abu Rudeineh, told CNN that the plan was “futile”.

“Any economic plan without political horizons will lead nowhere… Palestinians will not accept any proposals which do not include a Palestinian state with East Jerusalem as its capital.”

The decision on whether or not Palestinians would attend the workshop would be made by the leadership of Abbas, Abu Rudeineh said, adding that when a similar meeting was held in Washington in March 2018 to discuss ways of improving the economic and humanitarian situation facing Gazans, the Palestinians had chosen to stay away.

Continue Reading

International

Tourist bus near Egypt’s Gaza pyramids hit with bomb; injures 17

Agencies

Published

on

Cairo: A roadside bomb hit a tourist bus near the Giza Pyramids, wounding at least 17 people including tourists, Egyptian officials said. The officials said the bus was travelling on a road close to the under-construction Grand Egyptian Museum, which is located adjacent to the Giza Pyramids but is not yet open to tourists.

The bus was carrying at least 25 people mostly from South Africa, officials added. The attack comes as Egypt’s vital tourism industry is showing signs of recovery after years in the doldrums because of the political turmoil and violence that followed a 2011 uprising that toppled former leader Hosni Mubarak.

The officials said security forces cordoned off the site of the explosion and the wounded were taken to a nearby hospital. The explosion damaged a windshield of another car, they said. Footage circulated online shows shattered windows of the bus.

 

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to brief media. Atif Moftah, general supervisor of the Grand Egyptian Museum, said the explosion did not cause any damage to the museum, in a statement issued by the antiquities ministry.

No group has immediately claimed responsibility for the attack. It is the second to target foreign tourists near the famed pyramids in less than six months.

In December, a bus carrying 15 Vietnamese tourists was hit by a roadside bomb, killing at least three of them.

Egypt has battled Islamic militants for years in the Sinai Peninsula in an insurgency that has occasionally spilled over to the mainland, hitting minority Christians or tourists. The insurgency gained strength after the 2013 military overthrow of the country’s first freely elected president, an Islamist whose brief rule sparked mass protests.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Latest News3 hours ago

VIDEO|Nahida creates history, becomes first Kashmiri woman to scale Mt Everest

Srinagar, May 22: History has been created after twenty three year -old Nahida Manzoor from Srinagar became the first Kashmiri...

Latest News7 hours ago

Black bear beaten to death in South Kashmir

A sub-adult wild black bear was beaten to death by locals in Zungalpora village in South Kashmir’s Kulgam district on...

Latest News7 hours ago

Chargesheet against Sumbal rape accused soon: Police

Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Police on Wednesday said that a chargesheet against the accused in Sumbal rape case will be...

Latest News7 hours ago

VIDEO | Second phase of Jehangir Chowk-Rambagh flyover thrown open to public

Srinagar:The second phase of the Jehangir Chowk-Rambagh flyover was thrown open for vehicular traffic on Wednesday. Jammu and Kashmir Governor...

Latest News7 hours ago

Two militants killed in Kulgam gunfight: Police

Srinagar, May 22: Two militants were on Wednesday killed in a gunfight with government forces in Gopalpora village of Damhal...

Latest News7 hours ago

Army soldier injured in accidental explosive during training: Defence spokesman

Poonch, May 22: The Jammu based defence spokesman of Army on Wednesday denied any IED blast had taken place in...

Latest News8 hours ago

No trace of two PDD employees who drowned in Dardekote Nallah Uri, Searches On

Baramulla, May 22: There was no trace of two Power Department Development employees who drowned in 500 feet long Jehlum...

Latest News18 hours ago

VIDEO | Militant killed in ongoing Kulgam gunfight

Srinagar, May 22: A militant has been killed in an ongoing encounter with government forces at Gopalpora area of south...

Subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor and receive notifications of new stories by email.

Join 1,010,540 other subscribers

Archives

May 2019
M T W T F S S
« Apr    
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
Advertisement