Connect with us

Lead Stories

Bandipora incident: SIT constituted: Deceased victim’s sibling seeks protection

Hirra Azmat





Srinagar Apr 15: The younger sister of the deceased Bandipora victim, who committed suicide after being allegedly raped by her own father, has moved an application before the Chief Judicial Magistrate’s (CJM) court, in Bandipora, seeking protection as she feels insecure at her relative’s place. 

The victim committed suicide by consuming poison last Thursday after her father, who had been allegedly raping her for years, tried to do the same with her younger sister as well.

She was referred to Bandipora district hospital and eventually shifted to Srinagar’s SMHS where she breathed her last on Friday.


The sibling, who in a video had accused her father of making sexual advances to her as well, was the one who reported the crime to the police but not before her victim sister had taken the extreme step.

On Monday, the girl was produced in the court by police in Bandipora where her statement was recorded before the CJM under Section 164 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC).

A source revealed that the girl had expressed serious apprehensions about her safety at her relative’s place.

“The girl said she is not feeling safe within the family domain. The victim was sexually exploited by her father, and later on the girl was allegedly threatened by her uncles and relatives to keep mum, under whose guardianship and protection she is living,” the source said.

The source informed that for the interim custody, the girl is likely to be shifted to Juvenile Justice Home at Harwan, Srinagar.

On Monday protests too were held in Bandipora over the incident. Women rallied in Bandipora markets while raising slogans and holding placards demanding justice for the victim.

When contacted SSP Bandipora, Rahul Malik said that after getting the inputs, the police immediately lodged the FIR and dispatched a team at the spot where they learnt that the victim had consumed poison

“The girl was referred to SMHS from Bandipora district hospital where she succumbed,” he said.

“We immediately initiated a probe and arrested the accused. The brothers of the accused were also questioned as a part of the inquiry,” he said.

The SSP said they have constituted a Special Investigation Team (SIT) for fair and speedy probe under the leadership of Deputy Superintendent of Police Headquarters, Bandipora.  

“The committee comprises of members from different fields including the legal experts. If there is any one else involved, we will look into that as well. I want to assure the people of Bandipora that justice will be delivered and perpetrators will be brought to book,” the SSP said.

He said the accused father was questioned thoroughly and he seems mentally sound.

Chief Medical Officer Bandipora, Dr Tajamul Hussain said that the autopsy report is still with the forensic experts.

“I cannot comment on the case till the post mortem case comes,” he said.


Lead Stories

Jaish almost wiped out, no one willing to head it: Army

Mudassir Kuloo



Srinagar, Apr 24: Army on Wednesday claimed the government forces have “severely targeted” the militants for the last few months and Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) militant outfit was “almost wiped out with no one willing to take over it”.

Addressing a press conference here, GOC 15 Corps, KJS Dhillon, who was accompanied by Director General of Police (DGP) Dilbagh Singh, IGP Kashmir SP Pani, and IG CRPF Zulfikar Hassan, said that 69 militants have been killed and 12 of them arrested so far this year.

“Post Pulwama incident, 41 militants have been killed and out of them 25 belonged to Jaish-e-Mohammed, 13 of them were Pakistanis while 13 were A+ category,” Dhillon said.


The GOC 15 Corps claimed that they have targeted JeM leadership.

“The situation now is so that no one is coming forward to take over the leadership of JeM in the valley,” he said.

“Even after Pakistan’s best efforts, we will continue to suppress JeM. The operations against the militants will continue with full vigour and we will not let militancy rise up,” he said, while appealing the local militants to surrender.

“Recruitment of local militants has gone down. In addition, those who surrender, we will take care of their security,” he said.

Dhillon also advised civilians not to rush to the encounter sites.

Asked about the bi-weekly restrictions on civilian traffic on the Highway, he replied, “This is just a temporary measure. There are now relaxations on the civilian traffic.”

On the occasion, the DGP said 272 militants were killed in the state during 2018 and a “large number was apprehended.”

He too claimed that the local recruitment in militant outfits had declined.

“2018 was generally a successful year. There has been less ‘law and order’ problem. We brought many youth (who had joined militancy) back to their homes,” the DGP claimed.

“Elections have been conducted peacefully in the state because of a well-planned security grid. Voter turnover at 13 percent in Anantnag district is not less. People voted despite threats, no one can be forced to vote,” he said.

Asked there were reports that 11 youth had gone missing in south Kashmir during the last one month, the IGP Kashmir said, “Few had gone missing but returned. They had gone missing for other reasons, not to join militancy.”

Continue Reading

Lead Stories

Held Pak militant paraded before media

‘Chota Dujana was active in Srinagar for over a year’

Mudassir Kuloo



Srinagar, Apr 24: Police on Wednesday presented a Pakistani militant Mohammad Waqar, alias Chota Dujana before the media, who, they claimed, was arrested from Pattan area in Baramulla on Monday.

During a press conference here, the militant was briefly allowed to respond to media.

“My name is Mohammad Waqar, resident of Miana Mohalla Punjab in Pakistan. I underwent a four-month militant training there,” he said.


 “I was told that Kashmiris are harassed, women are assaulted and Muslims are not allowed to offer prayers in Masjids. But I did not find any such thing here,” he replied when asked why had he picked up arms.

The militant was soon moved away.

SSP Baramulla, Abdul Wahid, said Waqar was affiliated with Lashkar-e-Toiba and had arrived in Kashmir in July 2017.

“He was operating in Srinagar for over a year now,” the officer said.

He added that the militant was travelling in a vehicle along with a Kashmiri when they were intercepted by the police near Mirgund, Pattan.

“They were chased and arrested near Chainabal Pattan,” he said.

The SSP said that as per their preliminary investigations, the militant was given shelter in old city as well as uptown areas of Srinagar.

“His plan was to resurrect militancy in Baramulla,” Wahid said.

Continue Reading

Lead Stories

Malik sent to judicial custody till May 24




New Delhi, Apr 24: A Delhi court Wednesday sent the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chief Yasin Malik, arrested in connection with the alleged funding case, to judicial custody till May 24.

The Tihar jail authorities have also moved an application seeking direction to produce Malik through video conferencing due to security concerns.

The family of Yasin Malik, said on Saturday, that the JKLF chief had fallen ill and was shifted to a Delhi hospital after he went on a hunger strike to protest against his “illegal” detention.


Earlier this month, Malik was brought to Delhi from Jammu and was later arrested by NIA in connection with an alleged case related to the funding of militant and separatist groups in Jammu and Kashmir. He was produced in a special court which remanded him in NIA’s custody till April 22.

Malik was shifted to Delhi’s Tihar Jail after NIA secured his production remand.  The JKLF chief was taken into preventive custody in February by the J&K police and lodged in Jammu’s Kot Balwal jail.

Malik organisation JKLF was banned last month by the Centre.

Continue Reading