Connect with us

Sports

After backlash, Pandya apologises for comments on TV show

Agencies

Published

🕒

on

IST

Sydney: India cricketer Hardik Pandya apologised after being slammed for making what many construed as misogynistic and sexist remarks on ‘Koffee With Karan’, saying he got “carried away by the nature” of the show.

The 25-year-old all-rounder has provoked a backlash after the comments he made on the celebrity chat show hosted by filmmaker Karan Johar, in which he appeared with India teammate KL Rahul.

Taking to Twitter, Pandya posted, “After reflecting on my comments on Koffee with Karan, I would like to apologise to everyone concerned who I may have hurt in any way.

 

“Honestly, I got a bit carried away with the nature of the show. In no way did I mean to disrespect or hurt anyone’s sentiments. Respect.”

On the show, Pandya boasted about hooking up with multiple women and spoke about how open he is with his parents, saying he had once told them after losing his virginity, “aaj mai kar ke aaya”.

When the host of the show asked him why didn’t he ask women their name in a club, Pandya responded by saying, “I like to watch and observe how they (women) move. I’m little from the black side so I need to see how they move.”

A barrage of criticism started coming Pandya’s way, prompting the Indian Cricket Board to consider banning players from appearing on such chat shows.

The BCCI had on Tuesday taken note of his “crass and cringe-worthy comments” on the chat show and had ticked him off.

Pandya is currently with the Indian team in Australia where it recently recorded a historic maiden Test series win.

Pandya had joined the team before the Boxing Day Test in Melbourne after recovering from a back injury which he had suffered during the Asia Cup in the UAE last year.

He will be seen in action in the three-match ODI series against Australia which starts on January 12 in Sydney.


Advertisement
Loading...
Comments

Sports

Would be sitting at home if I think like people from outside: Kohli

Agencies

Published

on

Mumbai: Virat Kohli said he would be “sitting at home if he thinks like people from outside”, responding, in his trademark combative style, to Gautam Gambhir’s recent jibe at him, but without taking the former opener’s name.

Gambhir, who led Kolkata Knight Riders to two IPL trophies in 2012 and 2014, recently said that in a result-oriented franchise environment, Kohli has been “lucky” to have survived despite Royal Challengers Bangalore never winning the coveted title in his eight years as skipper.

Asked about it, the batting maestro said, “Obviously, you want to win the IPL. I am doing what I am supposed to do. I don’t care whether I am going to be judged on this (not winning IPL) or not. There is no real, sort of, parameters you set. I try to perform wherever I can. I try to win all the possible titles, but sometimes it just doesn’t happen.

 

“We have to be practical about why we haven’t won one. That boils down to bad decision making in pressure situations. If I think like people from outside, I can’t even sustain five games. I would be sitting at home,” Kohli said.

According to Gambhir, one can’t say Kohli and Mahendra Singh Dhoni in the same breath, as India’s current captain has not won the IPL even once in comparison to his predecessor’s three. Gambhir also compared Kohli with his national team deputy Rohit Sharma, who too have three IPL titles to his credit.

“I know people talk about it a lot and they like to grab opportunities to talk about these things. But I have a responsibility here and given a chance, as a captain, I would love to win the IPL for my team.

“We all are motivated to do so. It has not happened and that’s the reality. No excuses for that. Only acceptance of the faults that we made in the past. The fact that we played six semi-finals means that we have been a side who are always in contention. If we make better decisions, we can go further than that. That’s how I see things,” Kohli added.

The Indian captain was speaking on the eve of the IPL 12 opener between his team and Chennai Super Kings.

To a question if he felt RCB were the underdogs against CSK at home, he said every team that comes here has to be considered so, with the home team being led by Dhoni.

“MS knows exactly what he wants from his team in these conditions. We all have seen that and are aware of it. We are going to be backing our skills and then find ways to come out on top.

“It’s very easy to be overawed by the support that CSK are going to get. In the IPL, people can get carried away by the support that a team like CSK gets at home but we have to focus on our basics.”Kohli also said RCB’s focus this year would be on being consistent and scratching their way to wins.

“It again boils down to how much composure you have in crunch situations. If you see all the teams that have won, they have had players who have stood up and done the job.

“In the past, when we have been close to winning the title, we have just expected things to go our way instead of standing up. That is something we want to correct this season. If we look ugly, we look ugly. It doesn’t matter. We don’t want to be a side just playing flamboyant cricket. We want to be a consistent side,” Kohli said.

Continue Reading

Sports

AIFF deny I-League clubs’ request to reschedule qualifiers

Agencies

Published

on

Mumbai: The All India Football Federation (AIFF) has denied the I-League clubs’ request to restart the 2019 Super Cup, Goal can confirm.

Nine I-League clubs had earlier informed the Indian FA that they are willing to take part in the Super Cup 2019 after AIFF president Praful Patel reached out to the clubs on Thursday and assured them that he will hold a meeting with them in mid-April.

After initially deciding to withdraw from the competition citing AIFF’s unfair treatment towards the clubs, the I-League clubs’ unison expressed their willingness to take part in the knock-out competition if all the clubs are allowed to take part.

 

However, as Goal reported earlier, matches given as walkovers cannot be replayed according to the regulations of the national cup competition. The AIFF has made it clear to the clubs that the regulations must be adhered to and that it would be unfair towards the opposing teams – Delhi Dynamos, FC Pune City and Chennaiyin FC – that took the field for the matches which did not take place.

Minerva Punjab, Gokulam Kerala FC and Aizawl FC failed to turn up for their Super Cup qualifiers on March 15 and March 16.

Due to the I-League clubs’ absence on the match days, the AIFF awarded Delhi Dynamos, FC Pune City and Chennaiyin FC wins by virtue of walkovers.

Continue Reading

Sports

Neymar charged for ‘insulting’ referee in Man United defeat

Agencies

Published

on

London: Paris St Germain forward Neymar has been charged for “insulting and/or molesting” the referee following his post-game rant after the French side were knocked out of the Champions League last 16 by Manchester United, UEFA said.

Neymar, who was sidelined by injury, was investigated for lashing out and labelling the video assistant referee (VAR) system a “disgrace” after United won a controversial penalty in the dying stages to advance on away goals.

“Disciplinary proceedings have been opened following the UEFA Champions League Round of 16 second leg match between Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester United FC (1-3), played on 6 March in France,” UEFA said in a statement.

 

“Player Neymar Junior – insulting / molesting acts against match official (statements made by the player following the above-mentioned match) – Art. 15 (1) (d) of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations.”

If the Brazilian is found guilty, he could be suspended for three matches in the competition for insulting match officials.

UEFA’s Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body will look into the case and a date for the hearing is yet to be confirmed.

PSG coach Thomas Tuchel had said after the game that he understood Neymar’s anger and defended his comments, saying they were made in the heat of the moment.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Latest News3 hours ago

Centre sets up tribunal to decide if Jamaat-e-Islami is an unlawful association

The Centre has constituted a tribunal headed by a Delhi High Court judge to decide whether there is sufficient cause...

Latest News7 hours ago

Bhagat Singh’s 88th death anniversary observed in Pakistan

Lahore: A candle-light vigil was held to mark the 88th death anniversary of Indian freedom fighters Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and...

Latest News7 hours ago

JF-17 Thunder was used to shoot down the Indian aircraft, claims Pak

Military spokesperson Major General Asif Ghafoor has rejected India’s claims that Pakistan used American-made F-16 jets to down Indian aircraft...

Latest News8 hours ago

LS Polls: Farooq Abdullah files nomination papers for Srinagar seat

Srinagar: National Conference president Farooq Abdullah on Monday filed nomination papers for the parliamentary seat from Srinagar. He will contest...

Latest News9 hours ago

Karvan-e-Aman bus remains suspended for 4th week

SRINAGAR : The Karvan-e-Aman bus, operating between Srinagar and Muzaffarabad remained suspended for the fourth consecutive week on Monday, official...

Latest News9 hours ago

Seven arrested during nocturnal raids in Shopian

Shopian, March 25 : At least seven youth have been arrested during a nocturnal raid in Arhama area of South...

Latest News9 hours ago

3 Jaish Militants arrested from Srinagar outskirts: Police

SRINAGAR — Three Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) militants were arrested by security forces from the outskirts of the city, police said. “Three...

Subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor and receive notifications of new stories by email.

Join 1,001,150 other subscribers

Archives

March 2019
M T W T F S S
« Feb    
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
Advertisement